Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

FCKeditor

Comments

• Yeah, the "FCKeditor/fckeditr" thing has caught a lot of people out before...
  • Well, thanks again. You definitely put me in the right area to spot the problem.
  • Schiz, Mark's given permission for Lussumo Admins to upload large addons - fancy making those changes so it's just one download now? ;)

And yes,I have asked if he can make it so that in the future it can be made so the extension authors can be given permission on a per extension basis to upload large addons ;)
  • No matter what I do, I can't get this toolbar to work. In fact, I can't seem to get any of my extensions to work, except for the sidebar. It's driving me NUTS!
  • Cool editor. Replaced tinyMCE in our forum for several reasons, not least of which is the ability to use a quote post function. Plus FCK seems to run much faster. Thanks for the good work!

I used the Global Preference extension to set all current users VisualEditing to 1, but is there a way to set the FCKeditor default to on for new users as they join? Or do I have to go through the exercise of setting the global option every time a batch of new folks sign up?
  • Actually, here's a feature request. Please can we have an option in FCK that the admin can set to force the editor to be the only formatter (no choice of anything else) and so that users don't have an option to use it or not? I assume that if they don't have JS enabled they'll just get a plain text field where they can enter unformatted text? If so, this would be a nice mode for FCK from an admin's POV and a lot simpler for most users not to be given a choice (plus it'll solve dyohn's issue above).
  • Stash, MySchizoBuddy hasn't posted in this thread since July 17th (nearly a month ago)! I take that to mean his answers to your two questions will be long in coming! Makes one wonder if FCKeditor has fallen into the realm of abandonware!
  • Or he could just have been on a long holiday ;) I'm sure he'll be back, but as with all free ventures, they usually take a back seat to RL and work ;)
  • Thought folks following this thread would be interested to see that Yahoo just released their own WYSIWYG editor:

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/editor/

Even more interesting, unlike FCKEditor it's Safari compatible:

http://ajaxian.com/archives/tales-of-the-rich-text-editor-and-safari-support
  • unlike FCKEditor it's Safari compatible

Do you mean "compatible with all versions of Safari"? Because AFAIK, current versions of FCKeditor are fully compatible with Safari 3. The problem is in getting the author of this Vanilla extension to update his silly action to remove the block on Safari 3 so we can fully test that point! The block was put in place because past versions of FCKeditor were not compatible with Safari 1.x or 2.x. But Safari 3 is a different story, hence my pleading for the removal of the Safari block. That's all I've been asking these past couple months since Safari 3 has been released. But alas, as Stash indicates, the author is on quite a lengthy vacation. How nice it would be if I could get a 2-3 month "vacation"!!!
  • I've said it before and I'll say it again. There's no reason such an editor would not be compatible with Safari except bad coding by its creator and/or taking advantage of flaws in a more popular browser which shall remain nameless.

Posted: Saturday, 18 August 2007 at 8:47AM

• I thought about saying something like that Dinoboff, but you're wasting your breath, just like the guy in that article who says Because YUI is committed to A-Grade browser support (and because I’m a fanatic Mac user) fully supporting Safari was a top priority for me. Wrestling Safari into submission was no small task, and I’ll look at some of the specific challenges below. Wanderer just won't listen on this one, save yourself ;)
  • I've tried FCK on Safari 3.0.3 Win and it's not fantastic. I think you'd really be better off waiting for version 2.5 of FCK before it gets enabled in Safari again - silly stuff like not being able to select pictures with the mouse etc...
  • I don't care about and won't waste time reading any shitty article on this subject.

If the whole web world bends over backwards and f*ucks itself to make sites compatible with the most unruly browser on the planet (Exploder), piddly folks shouldn't complain about little Safari issues.

If Google can do it, make an editor that works period that is, it can be done. Now even Yahoo are doing it, and it works brilliantly. All you need is informed competence and a little perspective.

Who says you are "...not able to select pictures with the mouse..." in Safari? I do it ll the time. I sometimes wonder what world you guys live in, oh, sorry I forgot, I remember now.

Posted: Monday, 20 August 2007 at 7:34AM

• Wanderer said: "I don't care about and won't waste time reading any shitty article on this subject."

You don't need to turn nasty... The article is from the guy who created the YUI rich text editor. Like lots of developers, he works on a mac. Like most mac user, he like Safari...

Obviously you are not a web developer. You don't know anything about standard. So how can you know that when a JavaScript widget is not Safari compatible, it would be because of bad coding?
  • how can you know that when a JavaScript widget is not Safari compatible, it would be because of bad coding?

Because good coding works! Plain and simple.
    Bad coding works on Exploder because most likely the reason it's bad is so it works with Exploder's foibles. The web is full of so-called developers that work exclusively with Windblows and create the sort of code that appears to work for them and they don't give a shit about anything else, assuming they know about anything else.

I'll even go as far as to say they deliberately write bad code to compensate for Exploder.
    Write good code and it will work on Safari, no reason it shouldn't.

Just look at many of the posts right here about Exploder and how it handles CSS and the lengths they are prepared to go to in order to cater for that piece of shit.

Obviously you are not a web developer. You don't know anything about standard.

I am not a developer per se, no, but I do work with developers and my job is to know about standards. I have this argument all the time with them and they think they win because they use all of your closed-minded arguments. Then I go to management and say one simple phrase: "The latest update does not work with Safari on OS X" then about 16.4 seconds later the developer in question gets a kick up the arse and its magically fixed.

There is no excuse for incompatibility period (although we say fullstop here in Aussieland).

You don't need to turn nasty...

This isn't nasty mate, it's the real world, if it's too hot in the kitchen you shouldn't make a career out of cooking!

Posted: Monday, 20 August 2007 at 8:23AM

• Closed-minded argument? Moi?
  • Who says you are "...not able to select pictures with the mouse..." in Safari? I do it ll the time. I sometimes wonder what world you guys live in, oh, sorry I forgot, I remember now.

Hello, we're talking about FCK here, not Safari. If you have FCK working completely in Safari, today, why haven't you posted a guide for everyone else?
  • Again you miss the point in your rush to spout what you think you know. I can select pictures using the mouse in Safari using a real editor, NOT this FCK piece of crap.

Posted: Monday, 20 August 2007 at 9:43AM