Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Moving from Expression Engine to Vanilla

ojosefojosef New
edited April 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi Guy,

I hope this is the place to go to get an answer, I would like to use Vanilla for an existing forum that is currently running on Expression Engine. I need to move the forums, posts and users from Expression Engine to Vanilla. I did a Google search for that exact phrase, but it did no bring much up. I found only this http://devot-ee.com/add-ons/ee-2-to-vanilla-forums-2-bridge/ which is just a bridge.

Any ideas how I can move my forum to Vanilla, I really want to be able to use it, from my experience I am usually setting up fresh installs of Vanilla, never transferred from EE.

Thank you!

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Can you migrate it to an intermediary like phpBB and then to Vanilla?
  • Thanks, do you have any documentation on how to do this, EE > phpBB? Then I will take phpBB to Vanilla. Long, but it has to be done, since Vanilla forum is what I want.
  • @Lincoln @ojosef did anyone ever figure this out? I need to move from expressionengine to vanilla and the web hasn't produced any results for that search in 2013 either.

• Hi @KCallwood I moved it to a phpBB installation then to Vanilla, it was a nightmare. Sorry I can't be of any more help.

• @ojosef The fact that you managed to move it to phpBB is a big help! Can you tell me how you did it/where you found out how to do it?

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@KCallwood I see you have been asking on the ExpressionEngine community forums too. :D

I, personally, would either map it to Vanilla by hand or pay someone else to do it. gConvert.com has a baseline cost of $75 which is reasonable depending on your situation.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Thanks @hgtonight. Any suggestions on where I can go to find more information about "mapping it" to Vanilla by hand? I'm fairly tech savvy so I would like to evaluate that possibility before paying gConvert.

I have no experience with expressionengine, but when I say mapping, I meant looking into both software's db schemas and finding the similarities. Assuming you have access to the db, this is just a bunch of introspection.

Then I do a bunch of tests on backed up data. When something works right, I make note of it. When I get all the information I can get transferred, I write up the appropriate script and share it with everyone else in hopes it will be useful. To somebody.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Thanks @hgtonight. But I'm not THAT tech savvy :) I could follow a tutorial, but exploring it all in the DB and then writing a script is a bit beyond me.

I'll update this thread if I find a solution.

• there are a couple of threads that people have used on manual database conversions, you could probably glean alot from them, and the conversion might be easier than you think, not easy but easier than you think.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I, personally, would either map it to Vanilla by hand or pay someone else to do it. gConvert.com has a baseline cost of $75 which is reasonable depending on your situation.

There's no website at gconvert.com. Can you elaborate as to what that is?

edited March 2013

@DirtyDog said:
    There's no website at gconvert.com. Can you elaborate as to what that is?

Sorry, I meant http://gconverter.com/

:S

Search first

• @hgtonight Just went over to gconverter.com and they don't actually list expressionengine forum to vanilla as an option. I dropped them a line to see if this is possible so fingers crossed. But any info you have on mapping by hand will still be appreciated :)

• @hgtonight Just went over to gconverter.com and they don't actually list expressionengine forum to vanilla as an option. I dropped them a line to see if this is possible so fingers crossed. But any info you have on mapping by hand will still be appreciated :)