HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.0.18 (beta 4) released

LincLinc Detroit Admin
edited September 2011 in Releases
We got a little sidetracked during our beta release process for 2.0.18. No worries! We're back on track for release now. Ignore that this is beta 4 - treat this as a first beta. Lots of features got added, and lots of stuff got changed.

I can't provide a responsible changelog. You'll need to check the GitHub commit log for that (and a hearty cheers to those of you who follow along and regularly pull and file new issues - much appreciated!)

Does this release fix every known bug? Nope! As usual, this is a nice mix of fixes and new stuff. If you have a pet bug that needs fixin', get involved on GitHub and send us a pull request.

Thanks for all the help over the summer! Hopefully we'll resume our faster release schedule now. Expect a VERY short beta / release candidate period before our final release, so get your bugs filed on GitHub soon.

Here's the usual details:
=======================

Download it from the addon site!

Build History

• 2.0.18b1 - Added moderation, bans, logging. Fixed 50+ bugs.
  • 2.0.18b2 - Fixed 12 bugs.
  • 2.0.18b4 - Restarting beta with tons of changes and fixes.

Reporting Issues

DO NOT REPORT ISSUES ON THE COMMUNITY FORUM

Please report all issues on the GitHub Issue Tracker. Remember to do a quick search through the issues to make sure your issue has not already been added or resolved.

Keeping track of new releases

You can follow our releases by pointing your favorite RSS reader at:
http://www.vanillaforums.org/addon/vanilla-core/follow.rss
This feed will automatically update whenever we release a new version of Vanilla Core.

Troubleshooting the Vanilla 2 Installation

If you run into any issues during the installation, you may see the "Bonk" error screen. In order to get past this screen, you can add the following line to your conf/config.php file:
$Configuration['Garden']['Debug'] = TRUE;

This will show you a more detailed screen of information about the actual problem you've encountered. Please include this information when reporting issues (copy & paste exact errors, please).

Upgrading Vanilla 2.0 Forums

1. Back up your database.
  2. Back up all of your existing files.
  3. Unarchive the new files and copy them over your existing files. Make sure that your hidden files (ie .htaccess) are copied to your server.
  4. Make sure the conf/config.php from your old version has been copied over to the new version.
  5. Delete all *.ini files in your cache/ folder
  6. Navigate to the page in your forum that updates your database: www.yourforum.com/utility/update (or www.yourforum.com/index.php?p=/utility/update)
  7. Visit your forum and test away!
For more help with upgrading, check out the Upgrade Documentation and the Upgrading Tips and Tricks thread.
Tagged:

Comments

• Is vanillaforums going to be updated with this beta like earlier? Can you give at least the list of major features in this release please?
  • Thank you for making this update, guys. Let's see if we can find some more bugs to iron out before we go for release candidate status.
    @ronakg look here : https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/issues?sort=created&direction=desc&state=closed&page=1&milestone=2

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited September 2011
    I can't drag and drop categories after this update. Please, fix this.

Also, when I have the "root categories as headers" setting enabled, and if viewing the subforum and looking under the blue box where it says "All Discussions box // Category >> Subforum," the category should be a non-link there too.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @ronakg Are you talking about hosted sites on .com or this .org site? Do you have a hosted site and need something in particular?

@Shadowdare Check out the red capital letters part of the post above.
  • How can I rebuild cache? I fell that after upgrading the forum slowed down...
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    The cache rebuilds itself immediately.
  • Okay, thanks. Is there a list of new string to translate?
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    I don't think there's a master list yet, sorry.
  • jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭
    I remember seeing "Moderation Queue" pop up in the admin dashboard, but I couldn't figure out what it did. Is this a post pre-approval feature, and if so is it implemented yet?
  • @ronakg Are you talking about hosted sites on .com or this .org site? Do you have a hosted site and need something in particular?
    I was talking about this particular site itself. Is this site running beta4 or still on beta2?
  • Is this site running beta4 or still on beta2?
    Neither

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited September 2011
    It's running on not-quite-beta-4 I think :) We don't install particular versions on our sites, we do pulls from the development code as needed. That's part of why releases tend to be low priority. Internally, we talk about pull dates, not version numbers.
  • Is there a way to break up the database structure mysql commands, or export the raw SQL commands so they can be run directly from mysql?
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @Gillingham I'm not clear what you're asking for. What are you trying to do?
  • @Gillingham I'm not clear what you're asking for. What are you trying to do?
    Run the upgrade SQL outside of the webserver/php.

Also I'm getting a bonk despite adding the debug, $Configuration['Garden']['Debug'] = TRUE;, to my config.php
  • edited September 2011
    Also I'm getting a bonk despite adding the debug, $Configuration['Garden']['Debug'] = TRUE;, to my config.php
    On a hunch I guessed it might have to do with vanilla silently failing when the Smarty cache directory doesn't exist, that was it. Not a nice regression there, at least in the past it would give some type of error. Relying on a smarty cache folder even for debug error message is a pretty bad decision. #1108 opened.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @Gillingham Going to /utility/structure should list all the SQL changes to be made.

The Smarty thing is just a bug, not a decision ;)
  • edited September 2011
    Any reason that
    update GDN_User User set Permissions = '' where Permissions <> '';
    Would always be displayed on /utility/structure ? even after repeatedly doing run

I don't think this is a new issue for me but I never got a response for it in past versions.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Yes, because we always want cached permissions to be emptied when any structure change is done. That caused maddening issues in the past.
  • This is fantastic, thank you!
This discussion has been closed.