HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

ButtonBar v1.1 released!

TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
edited November 2011 in Releases
This is the first release of ButtonBar, which places several simple formatting buttons above the Post Reply and New Discussion textareas, allowing easy access to HTML, BBCode and Markdown formatting.

The bar automatically uses your forum's default InputFormatter for New Discussions, and the Format of the Discussion in question when used in the Post Reply window.

Please report any bugs. Thanks!

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

Comments

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Pressure was mounting for this huh. Well done guys

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• This is what mine looks like. Any idea what went wrong there?
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Looks like its having trouble finding the image resources. Can you open Firebug or equivalent and look at the Net/Network tab and see what happens with those image requests?

• I'm getting the same thing as DirtyDog... looking into it. I should mention I'm running 2.0.17 (I changed the "required" version so it would enable), I wonder if that's the problem? Tim, do you know if it's possible to hack the plugin to run on 2.0.17?
  • DirtyDogDirtyDog ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    I've never used firebug but I downloaded it and gave it a shot. The only error I see in the net tab is this:

Also to clarify, the buttons aren't working either so I don't think its just a matter of missing images.
  • @DirtyDog, the buttons aren't working for me either. Are you running 2.0.18?
    We upgraded our jQuery version to 1.6.x in 2.0.18, that could be the problem.

I don't want to be a dick about this because I understand the pain of upgrading, but I really can't be responsible for the plugin on an old version of Vanilla. I suggest upgrading to 2.0.18

• Yes I am running 2.0.18.1
    So the buttonbar doesn't have a resource called 'buttonbg.jpg' - that is for something else.

You should see something like this:

You should also have an entry for 'buttonbar.js' in there, so check for that.

• buttonbar.js is being loaded but there are no calls for any of those button png's
  • I don't want to be a dick about this because I understand the pain of upgrading, but I really can't be responsible for the plugin on an old version of Vanilla. I suggest upgrading to 2.0.18
    Totally get it, as you do say the required version is 2.0.18; I just wanted to know if you thought I'd be wasting my time even bothering to try and get it working with 2.0.17.

Hopefully whatever solution works for DirtyDog with 2.0.18 will work for me with 2.0.17.
    buttonbar.js is being loaded but there are no calls for any of those button png's
    Are you getting any JS errors?

• Nope no errors.
  • 422422 Developer MVP
    your not using subdomain for forum by any chance ?

• I'm not, my forum is at domain.com
  • Nope
  • 422422 Developer MVP
    edited November 2011
    have you got a link @dirtydog ?

assuming camping-usa.com is your site ? have you got beta code I will register and test if you want

• has anyone figured out how to activate the spoiler tag? We use it alot on my forum for images. So that it isn't so hard on mobile users.
  • jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Two thumbs up! This is an amazing addon, simple and effective. At first I just thought it inserted the tags at the end the post, but it turns out it's smarter than that. :O I like how it encases selected text.
    has anyone figured out how to activate the spoiler tag? We use it alot on my forum for images. So that it isn't so hard on mobile users.
    I think you need to set your forum to use BBCode instead of HTML for that to work. Add the following line to your config file:

$Configuration['Garden']['InputFormatter'] = 'BBCode';

[Edit] Also it looks like discussions retain the format that was set when they were first posted (its a field in the database), so if you create a discussion while your forum's formatter is set to HTML and then change the formatter to BBCode, the button bar will still try to insert HTML tags for comments within that discussion. To fix this, you need to execute the following SQL query (backup your database first):

Update GDN_Discussion set Format='BBCode';

Or Format='HTML' if switching from BBCode back to HTML.
  • DirtyDogDirtyDog ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    I had my developer look at the button bar and he found that a fix to the images not being displayed was in the CSS:

Now I realize this shouldn't be necessary but it did cause the button images to be displayed. However, even with the images displayed they buttons still did not do anything once clicked. Still looking for a solution here.