Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Why markdown?

422422 Developer MVP
edited November 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I know its very popular, but wonder why you have opted for it

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• SS ✭✭
    edited November 2011

Fail. Vanilla One win. In V1 we can choose type of formatting for comment message.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2011

Perhaps they just wanted to do production testing.

Or they figured people would find it more intuitive than html. I'm not so sure though. The basics in html are the same a bbcode, and you have more flexibility.

Both of them are standardised, where as bbcode is not.

grep is your friend.

• test

grep is your friend.

• ok inline html is enabled anyway.

grep is your friend.

• not properly filtered.

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2011

grep is your friend.

• @422 Because markdown sounds cooler. ;)

@x00 I thought bbcode is a standard for the forums =/

• jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭

Interesting. Well, it makes sense. HTML may be intuitive for those with experience and BBCode to those who are bulletin board veterans, but markdown is something that is more easily grasped by those who are new to the scene, which is what Vanilla is all about.

• RainulfRainulf New
    edited November 2011

@jspautsch I thought WYSIWYG is the most easiest thing to grasp. Each people have their own preferences. For me, it doesn't really matter what markup language I use. But some may find it annoying. I say give the people the option to choose. Good thing html still works ;)

edited November 2011

WYSIWYG is something else entirely, and in lieu of a WYSIWYG editor markdown seems the most sensible as a markup language. Besides, most WYSIWYG editors, including the one for Vanilla, are often unwieldy and don't work perfectly. E.g. ButtonBar is much simpler and more streamlined.

Plus, I assume communities still have the option to configure HTML, BBCode, or Markdown for their formatter. It makes sense to provide admins with more options.

• There is a difference between usage and standardised. bbcode, has never been standardised.

grep is your friend.

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

I personally prefer markdown to html or god awful bbcode in forum contexts.

The final markdown goes through the exact same filter as our html does. x00's test of an inline style is a non-default option we specifically have enabled on this forum because of old inline-styles on old posts (Garden.Html.SafeStyles = FALSE).

I also completely disagree with @S in allowing users to choose their formatting options. Choosing a format is a power-user feature that does nothing but add clutter for the rest of the community and support requests for the forum admins. Even power users ought to just choose their format in a preferences panel rather than every other post. It is the perfect place for a plugin that no one has wanted enough to write.

edited November 2011

Hmm, doesn't seem compatible with the user reference feature in Quotes yet.

Todd said:
    I personally prefer markdown to html or god awful bbcode in forum contexts.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2011

@Todd You can could force safe styles after a date. That would keep all your old formatting, an prevent the tomfoolery.

grep is your friend.

I don't really want to program that feature. I'd prefer to handle tomfoolery with a liberal dose of banning ;)

• What a shame, I was rooting for textile...

We may add support for textile in the future. That's the final one of the big four.

• OK, so the problem is with buttonbar, which format it like in my post.