Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Blog comments w/ open source Vanilla

edited April 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Vanilla announced a new feature of their hosting, http://www.vanillaforums.com/features/blog-comments#toc

However, I can't find any information on how to implement blog commenting with the downloadable version of Vanilla. I also see it asked on the forums several times, but no answer.

Obviously this takes some page or article context to have article specific comments. I would love to know how to make this work ! Using Vanilla for forums, and Disqus for comments currently, would love to do both with Vanilla!

Tagged:

Answers

• I'm not 100% sure but I believe it's built-in to the WordPress plugin.
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/vanilla-forums/

• 422422 Developer MVP

Its not available as open src, only on hosted versions . Afaik

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Yes it's built into the wordpress plugin in which i'm currently using on my site. If you want, you can reverse engineer it to work with other platforms.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited April 2012

@mericson It's not available in the current stable release of 2.0.18.5. It's in core, so I expect it will be in the next release (2.1) but we don't have a projected release date for that yet.

You'll frequently see features get released on vanillaforums.com well before they are generally available to open source. Release cycles to open source take a tremendous amount of time so they naturally lag behind our current code base.

• thanks for clarifying this, @Lincoln — it's important to know that Vanilla is committed to keeping the open source code base as powerful and feature-rich as the '.com' service.

• Out of interest - did this become part of the open source product? Very interested in this feature, but haven't seen anything since @Lincoln‌ 's comment above

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@Matbennett‌ I believe you are looking for embedded comments. It is in 2.1b2, if I recall correctly. 2.1b2 is in beta.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @Linc said:
    @mericson It's not available in the current stable release of 2.0.18.5. It's in core, so I expect it will be in the next release (2.1) but we don't have a projected release date for that yet.

You'll frequently see features get released on vanillaforums.com well before they are generally available to open source. Release cycles to open source take a tremendous amount of time so they naturally lag behind our current code base.

hey I am now able to see that 2.1 is released any update on vanilla comments in opensource version and docs on how to use that feature?