Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How do I host multiple forums using one set of source files?

edited July 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I am setting up a website that needs to have multiple forums. I could just make three copies of the source files and set them up with a different database prefix. That however, just sounds too inefficient to me.

Comments

• **this looks complicated, but yes i think you have to create 3 forum folder with different names and a database with different prefixes for each forum except the user table.

Good luck and keep us updated.**

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

Its simple if you just have three separate folders and three different schemas in you mysql instance.

Using the same source install for multiple separate forums would entail either

A) simply using roles and permissions to create two apparently separate forums using the same root path.

B) extensive modification to the core

• edited July 2012

Thanks for your help. I will check it out and see what comes up.

• Oh, I forgot, I am managing the users externally with jsConnect, so I don't even need to worry about merging the users tables. Thanks for your help anyway.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

You'll need 3 config files and 3 databases. You could use server config or symlinks to make 3 sites run off the same physical files, they'd just need to each access a different config file.

• @lincon Ok, that sounds good. Is there any way that I can set a table prefix for the Vanilla tables so that I can run multiple installations of Vanilla on one database? I am using a free plan so I can only have two databases max.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Yes, you can change the table prefix in the config file. I think you can create a config.php file with the prefix in it before installing and it will respect that. I could, however, be making that up. :D

• @lincon I'll see what I can do. Thanks for your help. Vanilla is awesome!

• RobenRoben New
    edited April 2013

@yskywalker

If you done, please share with us your experience and we would appreciate if you write a how-to.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@Roben and others, check out this discussion.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff
    edited April 2013

Shameless self promotion:

@kasperisager said (clicky):
    I can confirm that symlinking everything except conf, cache and uploads works a charm. I'm now running two separate installations off the same codebase. Directory structure is as follows:

multisite
    ----core
    --------[vanilla]
    ----site1
    --------[core]
    --------conf
    --------cache
    --------uploads
    ----site2
    --------[core]
    --------conf
    --------cache
    --------uploads

P.S.: It took 5 minutes setting this up so it's not like it's some kind of black-magic voodoo.

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub