Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla installation not showing correctly

Hello there!

I've just begin my journey with server hosting, and I've been following Ars Technica's guide closely. So I have Nginx server,PHP-FPM, MariaDB SQL-database and Vanilla (and MediaWiki and WordPress) set up the same way as in the guide.
But the problem is, Vanilla works, but it's not looking correct. It seems like it's themes wouldn't work: image

So it looks like that, and when I go to the dashboard I find this:

So it gives some odd error message that I have no idea what it means (it doesn't give much information?). Changing theme doesn't help at all. And I don't have any plugins enabled.

So does anyone know how this could be repaired? I've tried re-installing vanilla several times and such. Is there some file that logs that kind of error messages, so I could find more information what went wrong?

I hope this isn't some common mistake because I'd be ashamed for not finding any info about it even though I tried :)

Best Regards,

kroope

PS. I left the url to my forums to the top of the image so you can go and check yourselves :)

A bit of background: This is first time I'm really trying to make any server work, so I'm totally fresh with this kind of stuff, but I'm quite familiar with unix-like systems and I know my way around the terminal and configuration files. I thought that this issue and mine could be connected, but I couldn't find the "class.settings.controller" where I'd need to comment a line out.

Best Answer

Answers

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

What version are you using? I suspect 2.1. If so, check out this thread.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

In 2.1b1 there is a bug . Something not allowing the config to save the changes from the dashboard. There is a back door to enable everything from the config.php

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/23374/the-server-encountered-an-unexpected-condition-which-prevented-it-from-fulfilling-the-request#latest

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

@vrijvlinder

I can save config changes in 2.1b1. this particular config problem you have is not buggy on my installation,

but the problem the op has, is that they need to customize their custom.css for the theme in question or try a different theme.

@Kroope
    what is the "So it gives some odd error message". make sure you set the permissions properly in your cache directory and clear out any .ini files in that directory.

I believe the debugassets config statement has been removed (and perhaps replaced by another).

search the forum for themes 2.1

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

edited April 2013

Yea it does not happen to everyone, I thought it was just me but found this at github
    https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/issues/1561

The config is not saving settings from the dashboard. But if you enter the configs by hand it works fine.

Edit: On second thought, I misread, or misunderstood. Since he said he gets this error message.

Wish they could post the messages or link to the problem.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

maybe it's a permission problem or ownership problem on directory or file.

what are your permissions and ownership you can reply in a new thread with your topic, if you don't want this thread about themes (not config issues) hijacked :).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

I checked out his site. His css file has no content. This is leads me to believe it is the debug assets config issue.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

His css file has no content.

That would explain it for sure. But it does load the style sheets?

• KroopeKroope New
    edited April 2013

Yes I found out too that something odd must be with my .css-files..
    My source look like:

"link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/forum/utility/css/style/style-233c5b07.css" media="all""

but there is no such directory as /forum/utility... (in /usr/share/nginx/html/forum/. For example my config.php is in /usr/share/nginx/html/forum/conf/config.php)
    So would it suggest that for some reason my installation failed?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

@hgtonight

This is leads me to believe it is the debug assets config issue.

I believe this was removed in the most recent vanila 2.1b1

no longer applicable, in recent versions... as far as I can tell this discussion modification in thread below is no longer something that will work.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/170608/#Comment_170608

but there is no such directory as /forum/utility..

this has been discussed you search the forum about understanding directories vs controllers and methods. It has even been discussed in the last 24 hours.

that look like minified or something , 2.1 has no utility folder.

maybe it could help if you posted your configs minus the sensitive info. And if you have some kind of minifier disable it.

• KroopeKroope New
    edited April 2013

My config.php:

1 <?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit();
    3 // Conversations
    4 $Configuration['Conversations']['Version'] = '2.1a38';
    6 // Database

removed

12 // EnabledApplications

13 $Configuration['EnabledApplications']['Conversations'] = 'conversations';

14 $Configuration['EnabledApplications']['Vanilla'] = 'vanilla';

16 // EnabledPlugins

17 $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['GettingStarted'] = 'GettingStarted';

18 $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['HtmLawed'] = 'HtmLawed';

21 // Garden

22 $Configuration['Garden']['Title'] = 'JannuFoorumi';

23 $Configuration['Garden']['Cookie']['Salt'] = 'R3RSZMYOGD';

24 $Configuration['Garden']['Cookie']['Domain'] = '';

25 $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['ConfirmEmail'] = TRUE;

26 $Configuration['Garden']['Email']['SupportName'] = 'JannuFoorumi';

27 $Configuration['Garden']['Version'] = '2.1a38';

28 $Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = TRUE;

29 $Configuration['Garden']['CanProcessImages'] = TRUE;

30 $Configuration['Garden']['Installed'] = TRUE;

32 // Plugins

33 $Configuration['Plugins']['GettingStarted']['Dashboard'] = '1';

35 // Routes

36 $Configuration['Routes']['DefaultController'] = 'discussions';

38 // Vanilla

39 $Configuration['Vanilla']['Version'] = '2.1a38';

41 // Last edited by kroope (88.114.92.95)2013-04-10 18:13:02

thanks for the heads up @peregrine

@vrijvlinder doesn't 2.1b1 automatically consolidate css?

Search first

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

edited:

• if you find modifying your css shows no results.

• try modifying your cutom.css in the them you want.

• then change your theme to a differnet one in the dashboard.

• then go back to your original theme.

• this may reset your cached theme css files.

• caveat: I haven't tried it, but it may be worth a try for you. let us know the results.

and re-read my previous messages maybe.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

good find @hgtonight

Another wild goose chase because the op didn't specify the version of vanilla., and didn't upgrade to the latest version as well

I suppose we could all stop answering questions if the vanilla version is not stated by the op in the first post, that would be an incentive :).

• Shouldn't git clone -command get the latest version automatically?

Updating worked.. Thank you all, now I'm a bit ashamed but hopefully I learned something out of this.. At least I will tomorrow learn more about controllers and methods ;) Sorry for this bother, and thank you all for your help!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

Shouldn't git clone -command get the latest version automatically?

good question. Anyone got an answer?

maybe we will learn something from this. I haven't tried git cloning yet, but it is on my list of things to try.

@kroope

Welcome to the community. People don't mind helping polite people that also share. :D

Search first

@vrijvlinder doesn't 2.1b1 automatically consolidate css?

I don't think it does , at least not the way minify does it. I don't see it consolidated in firebug.

I don't like that stuff anyway makes editing a royal pain .