Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Awkward Dashboard>>Users>>Authentication page loss of formating (Vanilla 2.1b1)

On a fresh 2.1b1 installation it's all OK. Since I initially installed it on my production site I created a custom template, added several plugins, but did not modify any core files (except the minor hashtag patch in library/core/class.format.php).

Now I just discovered, that the Dashboard >> Users >> Authentication page lost all formating. I checked through all administration pages, everything else is OK, it's just the Authentication page being messed up.

As you know, this is what it should look like:

And this is what mine looks now:

Firebug shows this html for the Authentication page:

I don't have the slightest clue for what to look at. Any ideas?

Tagged:

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2013

@MasterOne
    You are consistently doing what was asked specifically for people not to do.

per Todd's request......

Please help with Vanilla's 2.1 release.

This beta release is here so that the community can help us get Vanilla ready to release 2.1. Please keep this in mind when downloading it. Please do not download this release if you do not have some experience using Vanilla. You may have the best intentions, but you will be hindering, not helping the testing process.

You need to read the documentation, spend more time learning vanilla. and searching the forum for anything and everything that relates to your issues (Version 2.1), themes, versions, admin.css and custom admin.css and clearing cache.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Well, I'm reading documentation as much as I can, I'm spending as much time learning vanilla as I can, I've searched the forum, I use my own theme that I generated from the 2.1b1 default one, nothing seems to relate to any CSS, I and I cleared the cache several times.

It's awkward because everything else is working normally, it's only that one admin page that lost it completely. Nothing I did so far seems to have any relation to that page, and I have no clue how this is even possible.

@peregrine, I have no idea what Todd's request has to do with this. I know I'm using a beta, and I have no problem with it. Sure that page is effected by a problem, but that's no show-stopper for me running it on a production site. It's awkward and I am curious, nothing else (I don't really need that page as I've left Authentication on the default setting).

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2013

well you need to figure out why admin.css is not loading if it isn't loading.

and you should be looking at firebug's css rather than the html - if you want a tip.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• MasterOneMasterOne ✭✭
    edited May 2013

@peregrine said:
    well you need to figure out why admin.css is not loading if it isn't loading.
    and you should be looking at firebug's css rather than the html - if you want a tip.

admin.css is not loading because the whole admin template is not being used on that page, which is why I was showing the Firebug HTML tab.

HTML from how it's supposed to look:

and the actual HTML output (only on that one page):

That's clearly no CSS issue.

The shown picture of the messed up Authentication page is all there is, it's just that one a white page with nothing else there, as the Firebug HTML tab confirms.

• To track that issue down: What's the "workflow" for accessing that page? I mean what happens first once I access http://www.example.tld/dashboard/authentication ?

As no modifications to core file were done, can it have anything to do with the database?

BTW File permissions can also be not the issue, already checked that.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

If you want to see what code is executed for each url, you should really read the wiki page on urls and controllers.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• MasterOneMasterOne ✭✭
    edited May 2013

@hgtonight

Will do (this matter is not a top priority for me right now, but I hate unsolved mysteries).

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2013

Will do (this matter is not a top priority for me right now, but I hate unsolved mysteries).

Depends on if you want to be Sherlock or are looking for "Where in the world is Sherlock"?

even Sherlock Holmes spent more than two weeks solving cases.
    and you said you've been looking at vanilla for two weeks.

Or are you looking for the real "Sherlock" to solve your "unimportant" mysteries

clue: real sherlock found here

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/183705/#Comment_183705

• @peregrine

Sherlock, I am confused, am I not supposed to ask that many questions or tell anyone if I discover any problem?

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I not supposed to ask that many questions or tell anyone if I discover any problem?

There is a place for this already established , this forum offers support on the stable version and is slowly moving things to be compatible with the other but it is not for every one. Being familiar with , means knowing everything you asked about, and helping with the bugs is about more technical issues that are not trivial.

https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/issues

The link above will yield more answers for you since that is where they are working on these issues. 2.1 is not out for production use, not recommended for production use. If you find that using it is no sweat for you, then you should be able to resolve your own issues by searching for answers like the rest of us have been doing for months or years.

Open your issues at github if you really want to help :)

• Sherlock, I am confused, am I not supposed to ask that many questions or tell anyone if I discover any problem?

I'm not Sherlock - you are confused.

• @vrijvlinder

Unfortunately opening an issue on github concerning that matter will lead nowhere, because in a fresh 2.1b1 installation the Authentication page is displayed just fine, and I have no idea what happened in the meantime that it's now shown without template. I'll investigate further.

On a side note, I really don't understand the hostility I am facing here on this forum. I thought it's a place to ask questions which is why the "Questions" category is pretty much all this forum is about. It really should not matter if it's about the latest stable or recent beta version. If someone can't stand what I am asking/writing, why not just ignore me?

• @peregrine said:
    I'm not Sherlock - you are confused.

Not funny at all, is it...

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2013

@MasterOne said:
    If someone can't stand what I am asking/writing, why not just ignore me?

I'll keep that in mind.

It only seems you don't want to put in the effort of reading documentation and most of your questions pepper the board dealing with working with a beta version Try learning how to debug, try default theme and lose the plugins and see where the trouble begins with authentication page. Obviously a change you made created it, as you stated. - so back up the process till it is clean.

• @peregrine said:
    I'll keep that in mind.

Come on, I can't be that annoying, can I?

But well, it more than often happens that the experienced ones look down at the new ones, RTFM and so on, different forums different attitudes. I'm really trying here, but I am not a software developer, I'm not really into any programming language or CSS, I'm just a user who discovered Vanilla and loved it.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2013

I'm not really into any programming language or CSS, I'm just a user who discovered Vanilla and loved it.

exactly per Todd:

Please help with Vanilla's 2.1 release.

This beta release is here so that the community can help us get Vanilla ready to release 2.1. Please keep this in mind when downloading it. Please do not download this release if you do not have some experience using Vanilla. You may have the best intentions, but you will be hindering, not helping the testing process.

You broke rule #1 offered by the developer of the software. you broke rule #2 by putting it in a production environment, after breaking rule #1.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/23483/advice-for-all-those-just-starting-out-with-vanilla

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/23130/forum-post-ettikett-etiquette

But well, it more than often happens that the experienced ones look down at the new ones, RTFM and so on, different forums different attitudes. I'm really trying here, but I am not a software developer, I'm not really into any programming language or CSS, I'm just a user who discovered Vanilla and loved it.

My answers are not always RTFM - but based on the frequency and type of questions re:2.1, it seems RTFM may be not be a bad suggestion. Sometimes I help perhaps Split/merge FE was a useful answer to you. That was a reasonable question.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/23816/splitmerge-fe-1-01-on-vanilla-2-1b1-move-comment-not-working#latest

and not only that whu606 (long time contributor to this forum, even decided to donate as well as click insightful on the answer) so it benefitted me as well.

I suggest wiki and docs if you want to learn or hiring a developer if you don't have the skills to do it yourself.

as the original question in the post - I think I've provided some useful ways to go about debugging issue, if the issue becomes more important to you.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/23483/advice-for-all-those-just-starting-out-with-vanilla

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/23130/forum-post-ettikett-etiquette

I lack the patience element. keep the questions coming but try to do your own due diligence before asking - that means testing on a test installation, experimenting, and providing all the specifics.

• @peregrine

Understandable, but after discovering Vanilla Forums it soon was pretty clear, that starting a new forum now with a 2.0.x release does not make that much sense any more with 2.1 already around the corner, especially considering the new features it will bring. Although the release date still unknown and possibly far away looking though a lot of showcases revealed that a lot of people are already using 2.1 in production environments. I for myself only discovered minor issues with 2.1b1 so far, non connected to the core functionality, and none being show stoppers.

Honestly, this is going very far off-topic.

I know you guys don't want to get involved in my issues, I get it, but being experienced as you are, don't you feel the slightest curiosity about the issue I initially mentioned in this discussion?

I mean, it's not connected to CSS, and not connected to any core modifications, I very much doubt that any plugin can influence the behavior of just the Authentication page being presented without the use of the template, if everything else in the Dashboard is working properly. You don't have to answer this if you are not interested in helping me.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@MasterOne

My two pence is that you ask too many questions without doing the necessary spadework to see how far you can get on your own first.

You may feel that is unfair, but it is how I feel.

Moreover, you persist in asking questions about 2.1 when it is still in Beta, and seem to assume you are addressing the developers, when those on here are users like yourself, who have learned how to do things in Vanilla, and don't mind giving back.

Work on 2.0.18.8 if you want a stable forum.

You will find the answer to pretty much any question you have regarding that on here somewhere.

For 2.1, accept that you are mostly on your own, do everything you can to solve an issue yourself first, and if you still have a question, ask on here, including what you have already done to try to resolve it.

Please, above all, bear in mind that every one who answers a question on here does it in their own time, out of courtesy.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2013

I mean, it's not connected to CSS, and not connected to any core modifications, I very much doubt that any plugin can influence the behavior of just the Authentication page being presented without the use of the template,

download the core again and see.

I very much doubt that any plugin can influence the behavior of just the Authentication page

incorrect.

change to default theme, remove all your mods, remove the plugins test see if it solves problem, and slowly enable your theme, test, add a plugin test., etc.

• @whu606

I understand, and I know I am not addressing any dev's here, but a lot of people are already using 2.1, so it may as well be possible that others have experienced similar things (I don't really want to call it "problems") as well. So if I post a question, and nobody has something to say, it's OK.

@peregrine

Will do.