Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Views count not working?

Hi,

The view counts in my forum doesn't seem to work, the all say '1'. I'm using vanilla 2.2.1. I found this post:
http://vanillaforums.com/discussion/1410/view-count-issue

My HTML structure is correct. Does anyone have an idea what this could be?

Tagged:

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

vanilla 2.2.1.

I am sure that the support from the hosted version could answer that , this forum is for the free self hosted open source version :)

• I know that... I'm trying to find out if more people experience this problem and if they perhaps found a solution before I start digging in the code.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

The version of Vanilla you are running (2.2.1) is not available to the volunteers here. I am sorry.

You will have better luck at http://vanillaforums.com/discussions.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

You probably need statistics enabled. or add the increment user plugin. If they let you. There was a problem in previous versions of vanilla 2.1 and above. You can search the forum for ideas.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Statistics was enabled, but had no effect. This plugin did the job: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/incrementview-plugin. Thanks

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

@wouter Even I am using the same. It's not working in house.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Please let me know here when you find a solution.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@hgtonight said:
    The version of Vanilla you are running (2.2.1) is not available to the volunteers here. I am sorry.

What are you talking about? It's master branch. :P

@wouter @Joebox By default, it logs in increments of 10 to conserve resources. You can set Vanilla.Views.Denormalize = FALSE to undo this (recommended on small sites only). And, if you're on Vanilla's hosted service, please use vanillaforums.com/help so we can help you quicker.

• @Lincoln said:
    wouter Joebox By default, it logs in increments of 10 to conserve resources. You can set Vanilla.Views.Denormalize = FALSE to undo this (recommended on small sites only). And, if you're on Vanilla's hosted service, please use vanillaforums.com/help so we can help you quicker.

It doesn't seem to log increments of 10.. I've opened a discussion 25 times and the count still says 1. Setting the configuration '$Configuration['Vanilla']['Views']['Denormalize'] = FALSE;' also doesn't work. Am I missing something here?

• it only counts according to ip address. if the ip address is the same it won't increment count. If you want tthe count incremented use the plugin provided if you use open-source. If you use the hosted version - you should be posting on vanillafourms,com, not here.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I'm not using the hosted version. I've tried opening a discussion with serveral IP-addresses with '$Configuration['Vanilla']['Views']['Denormalize'] = FALSE;', the count is still not increasing.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Common issues:

1) Your Javascript on the page may be throwing an error, causing it to not fire the incrementer.

2) You may have removed the "AfterBody" tag from your default.master.tpl, which would remove the incrementer.

• 1) No javascript errors
    2) Afterbody tag is present in default.master.tpl

Any other ideas?

• only this if you haven't tried all these possiblities.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/187197/#Comment_187197

• KlutzKlutz New
    edited October 2014

In which configuration file can I find the $Configuration['Vanilla']['Views']['Denormalize'] setting?

For now I've simply added it to the end of /conf/config.php

I'm using Version 2.1.3, and have the "Vanilla Statistics" plugin enabled, which gives me a nice graph of pageviews, visitors, etc. in the Dashboard, yet the view count for discussions remains at "1".

• @Klutz said:
    For now I've simply added it to the end of /conf/config.php

That is the correct way to do it.

Try running /dba/counts

What other plugins do you have installed?

• Only plugins I have installed and enabled are:
    Button Bar, Emotify, In This Discussion, Split/Merge and Vanilla Statistics.

• Have you tried running url-to-your-forum.com/dba/counts ?

• @Bleistivt said:
    Have you tried running url-to-your-forum.com/dba/counts ?

Just did : 404 - Not found...

• Are you using url rewriting?

if not, its url-to-your-forum.com/?p=/dba/counts