Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Looking To Hire A Developer (Symfony Integration + Plugin Creation)

edited July 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I am redesigning my site and I want to have more integration between the forums and the main site. I want to do embedded comments like what the wordpress plugin allows, but obviously since my site isn't built on WP this will need to be custom integrated into symfony framework.

Also I want an upvote / downvote plugin created or forked from one of the current ones to allow the upvotes and downvotes to be applied to pages on my site and then on the user profile on the forums they would have a list of "pages they liked".

I reached out to BusinessDad with my requirements and he gave this outline of what I probably want done:

I think I understood what you would like to achieve. From what I see, it would require the following:

• Development of a Symfony plugin to integrate Vanilla comments.
  • Development of a Symfony plugin to integrate Vanilla Like/Dislike function. Such plugin should allow to like/dislike a website post and/on forum discussion or comment (i.e. Users can like/dislike a book, and/or the comments left about it). A page on main website should show rating posted by the User on books (i.e. non-forum threads).
  • Development of a Symfony plugin to integrate Vanilla notifications (as per your first post).

If the above is the correct, most of the development would have to be done on Symfony, for the following reasons:

• Vanilla already offers Comment embedding, it would be up to the main website to use it.
  • Vanilla already offers a Like/Dislike plugin (i.e. the Kudos), which would not have to handle votes expressed against books ("books" don't exist in Vanilla, which would only handle the discussions about them). It would be up to Symfony to implement a book Like/Dislike and fetch the threads Like/Dislike from Vanilla.
  • Vanilla 2.1 offers a "Me" module, which shows the User's toolbar with the notifications. There was a discussion about it, even though it offered a rudimentary solution.

He suggested I find a symfony dev but I am hoping that posting here will help me find someone who is familiar with both. All development that you do for me can be released open source for others to enjoy, there is no sense in me paying for something and then only me using it.

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

It would help even for those who are not familiar with symfony to include the link

http://symfony.com

Symfony2 is released under the MIT license.

"It is a permissive license, meaning that it permits reuse within proprietary software on the condition that the license is distributed with that software. The license is also GPL-compatible, meaning that the GPL permits combination and redistribution with software that uses the MIT License."

http://symfony.com/doc/current/genindex.html

• Options

Thanks! Though, since I am looking for a Vanilla dev who is also familiar with Symfony, I would hope they already would have known about the symfony website so I didn't think to include it. That said if a person wants to learn symfony while working on this project I am open minded.

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

This is definitely a great opportunity for someone who would like to practice with Symfony as well as with Vanilla, especially because it's not an overly complicated project. I declined the job just because I would have to refresh my Symfony knowledge myself, but I don't have the time to invest in it.

• Options

Would love to but not yet a good Vanilla coder :P

Interestingly enough, this is my first time to hear symfony. i'll give this one a try

@businessdad everytime i see a job post i remember your blog :D

• Options

@fr3em1nd @peregrine I'm in no way implying that development of such projects should cost pennies, nor that they will require little effort. I actually sent an estimate to @teamcoltra when he contacted me privately, which I wrote based on the idea of hiring a senior developer with good Symfony and Vanilla knowledge, he knows that it's not something that will cost a few bucks.

He seems a very nice and collaborative person, qualities that not all customers possess. :)

• Options

He seems a very nice and collaborative person, qualities that not all customers possess. :)

In that case, I hope he finds a good developer.

I usually got the moving target clients, who either don't know what they want, or have such an inflexible attitude, I decide it wasn't fun. Or I got the client who wanted quotes, but never had any intention of doing it if the quote was more than $0.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Money isn't an issue, I am not posting a price range because I don't know how much it will cost... though I have seen the number @businessdad sent me which I am going to use as a rough idea of an acceptable offer. I have the money to spend, I just need a person who can do the job.

I believe that if you spend peanuts on a developer, you are going to have a higher probability of having security holes and issues that are going to cost you more to fix in the long run. I want a good developer who can do the project, and who I can trust the integrity of my website with... that's not something I want to go cheap on.

You are the Vanilla dev. If I knew more than you about it, then I would just do it myself... I know what needs to be done, and I will give you a clear picture of it -- but I want the developer to show some ingenuity and make the project their own. Developing should be fun, and not a chore.

Anyone who is on the fence should really message me, I treat my team well.

• Options
    lifeisfoolifeisfoo Zombie plugins finder ✭✭✭

@teamcoltra Why do you want to use Symfony instead of the Garden framework that is included in Vanilla? If you are developing a new site with new functions you should give to Garden a try: it's a very good MVC framework with a really nice and simple plugin system and more really useful features: caching, templating, full OO, etc.

Developing you website as (another) application for Garden will lower (a lot) the work needed for the integration.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

@lifeisfoo As far as I understood, the main website is already up and running. It would make little sense to remake it using Garden.

Also, I must say that, despite its many qualities, Garden would not be my framework of choice for a non-forum project, mainly because there are relatively few Developers who know it well. Other frameworks have a larger User base, finding collaborators would be easier.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

Random aside: the package manager for Symphony, dubbed "Composer", was created in large part by Nils Adermann, who is also the development lead for phpBB. :) Small world.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

@teamcoltra said:
    Money isn't an issue, I am not posting a price range because I don't know how much it will cost... though I have seen the number businessdad sent me which I am going to use as a rough idea of an acceptable offer. I have the money to spend, I just need a person who can do the job.

I believe that if you spend peanuts on a developer, you are going to have a higher probability of having security holes and issues that are going to cost you more to fix in the long run. I want a good developer who can do the project, and who I can trust the integrity of my website with... that's not something I want to go cheap on.

You are the Vanilla dev. If I knew more than you about it, then I would just do it myself... I know what needs to be done, and I will give you a clear picture of it -- but I want the developer to show some ingenuity and make the project their own. Developing should be fun, and not a chore.

Anyone who is on the fence should really message me, I treat my team well.

You sound, like a great guy to work with. I hope someone who is interested in symfony or knows it will snap at this.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.