Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Can't activate any plugins or themes in 2.1b1

edited July 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I'm sure I'm doing something stupid, but I've done quite a bit of googling and I don't seem to be able to find an answer

I've installed a version of 2.0 and 2.1b1 on my server (bluehost) to evaluate them for a forum I am planning to create.

The 2.0 seems to work perfectly.

The 2.1b1 also seems to work fine in its basic configuration, but I have a really strange error where I can't seem to resolve.
When I click apply on any Theme or Plugin (even the built in ones) I get the message: 'The addon could not be enabled because it generated a fatal error'
There is a yellow box under it (which I assume should contain the detail of the error message), but it is empty.

I've tried changing the file permissions around to no avail. There doesn't seem to be a logfile anywhere so I'm at a loss to work out how to debug the issue any further.

One further piece of info which may or may not help is that I keep getting logged out when I'm in the Dashboard which also doesn't seem to happen in 2.0. (Not sure if that's relevant)

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

probably using the same browser for both versions at the same time and you need to change the value of the cookie of one of the vanilla versions in the config.php so the cookie doesn't conflict with the cookie of the other version (at least when viewing both version from the same vrowser). That should clear up the signout issues.

Sometimes i get the fatal error you described and the plugin actually does enable, but most of the time I don't have the same issue. You said you changed permissions. Does your conf/config.php have the correct permissions and does the smarty compile folder have the correct permissions.

$Configuration['Garden']['Cookie']['Name'] = 'vanilla21b'

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

@monquixote it is an known issue in Vanilla 2.1b - enabling themes and plugins causing fatal error.

A workaround is middleclicking on enable button.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

I am using a version of 2.2 and it doesn't have the same problem for me.

and for 2.1b - I don't remeber having the problem, so I think it depends on how your host deals with ownership and permissions.

the preview is an issue - but that can be solved by copying link and opening in another tab.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭

@peregrine said:
    I am using a version of 2.2 and it doesn't have the same problem for me.

From my experience it generally occurs on shared hosting.

• Options

@peregrine said:
    probably using the same browser for both versions at the same time and you need to change the value of the cookie of one of the vanilla versions in the config.php so the cookie doesn't conflict with the cookie of the other version (at least when viewing both version from the same vrowser). That should clear up the signout issues.

Sometimes i get the fatal error you described and the plugin actually does enable, but most of the time I don't have the same issue. You said you changed permissions. Does your conf/config.php have the correct permissions and does the smarty compile folder have the correct permissions.

$Configuration['Garden']['Cookie']['Name'] = 'vanilla21b'

I've checked all the permissions can think change and set them all to 777, but to no avail.

I did discover I was getting some conflict with the .htaccess of a Wordpress instance running in the same account. I've changed that now and I do get an error message, but it's:
    "500 Server Error
    A misconfiguration on the server caused a hiccup.
    Check the server logs, fix the problem, then try again.
    URL: http://forum.nick-long.com/dashboard/settings/testaddon/Theme/bittersweet/QZZ3DUZLNMCS?DeliveryType=JSON"

Adding the config change you suggested seemed to give me a 500 everywhere.

Supposing I wanted to try 2.2 how would I go about getting it as a proper build?

• Options
    TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭

Compare the second link with your host's "phpinfo();" file

Config ( shared hosting) - that causes an error http://pastebin.com/TML53yrs

Config ( VPS ) - that works fine http://pastebin.com/jQ5MtTzi

• Options

Thanks I'll do that.

First I'm going to install MAMP on my Macbook and see if I get the same problem there. If not I guess it might be the VPS
    The target for deployment is a proper Xen Ubuntu machine so hopefully it will be fine.

• Options

I did leave out the semi-colon

$Configuration['Garden']['Cookie']['Name'] = 'vanilla21b';

you can put whatever cookie name you want as long as the two versions don't match

there are lots of discussions on where to find versions of vanilla. look at the index.php to see what version it is and pull off pull it off github with appropriate branch.

• Options

OK I've tried it in MAMP and on an Ubuntu machine and I'm certain it's a problem with the Bluehost environment though what exactly I don't know.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited July 2013

I'm certain it's a problem with the Bluehost environment though what exactly I don't know.

according to this, bluehost is great for vanilla ....

http://www.prweb.com/releases/top-vanilla-forums-hosts/best-vanilla-web-hosting/prweb10914179.htm

Your problem is likely the same I had . see this and follow the github issue link with the fix by hgtonight https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/issues/1561

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/23374/the-server-encountered-an-unexpected-condition-which-prevented-it-from-fulfilling-the-request#latest

• Options
    AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    edited July 2013

I'm always wary of sites that offer "affiliate" links... I'm sure Bluehost is okay, but I have used many different
    hosts for Vanilla without issue. I also found it fishy that threehosts.com favourite hosts are: Bluehost,
    InMotion Hosting and Yahoo! Small Business. There are lots of great hosts missing from that short list.

• Options

Just noticed that this Bluehost Fix plusin exists which suggests there are some known issues.
    https://github.com/vanillaforums/Addons/tree/master/plugins/BluehostFix

• Options

Yea , it can be confusing to find a good host. They all suck you in with 35 bucks a year then jack it up once you have all your stuff on their server....

I use FatCow, which is actually TwoCows, that to me, sounds more trustworthy than threehosts !! lmao @moo

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@vrijvlinder said:
    Your problem is likely the same I had . see this and follow the github issue link with the fix by hgtonight https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/issues/1561

Please don't use that fix. It is a hack that works. It also removes all error checking on plugin enabling.

The best workaround is to copy the link of the button and paste it in your address bar. No muss, no fuss. No potential breaking of the error checking.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

It also removes all error checking on plugin enabling.

oh? I still get error message if plugin is not matching versions, and if it has problems ....

It did not break error warnings for me :) I know Todd said he preferred it was not done, but also no real fix has been provided either.

• Options
    aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

@adriansonline said:
    There are lots of great hosts missing from that short list.

Can you suggest some good shared hosting providers?

• Options

@vrijvlinder said:
    oh? I still get error message if plugin is not matching versions, and if it has problems...

I suppose it isn't that bad. I just am slightly annoyed that my most hackish contributions tend to be the most popular. :S What is a guy going to do?

@aery I use JustHost for my small sites. They are the best shared host I have found. Anything mid to high end and I invariably end up at MediaTemple.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

I suppose it isn't that bad. I just am slightly annoyed that my most hackish contributions tend to be the most popular. :S What is a guy going to do?

obviously - send in more hackish contributions :)

popularity isn't based on elegant solutions.

• Options

@peregrine said:
    popularity isn't based on elegant solutions.

Truer words were never spoken :D

Search first

• Options

@hgtonight said: I suppose it isn't that bad. I just am slightly annoyed that my most hackish contributions tend to be the most popular. :S What is a guy going to do?

You read the p man , send more hacks our way :)