Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Self-Hosted Vanilla Down this Morning

Hi - All of a sudden our Vanilla forum is down. When we go to it and only a blank page loads. If I look in my WP dashboard I see a message 'Couldn't find a Vanilla Forum at this url :/' for my address www.expsoft.com/forum, which has been up for many months and was up last night. We have made no changes to our site. Can anyone give me an idea of what I should look at? Thank you, Elysa

Comments

• Options
    UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited August 2013

So : Embedded forum into WordPress. No version info yet. I'll take a look at the Url.
    Forum gives blank page. So error reporting is not that high. Maybe set up the information you need for when you get a Bonk error (see my signature).
    Hope the host can take a look in his logs, because blank page is not much info...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

What version of Vanilla are you running?

How did you embed the forum in your word press site?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Hi UnderDog and hgtonight - Here is the embed link

I cannot find the version anywhere, but we updated around a month ago, so I think we are on the most current version.

My host is going out of business and has no support :/ I am in process of moving my site and forum to GoDaddy (my site is moved, but I have done nothing to move the forum yet). I can look at logs... will poke around and see if I can find logs that are specifically for Vanilla. I did look at my site error_log and there were no entries for last night though this morning.

Elysa

• Options
    ElysaElysa New
    edited August 2013
    script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.expsoft.com/forum/discussions/js/embed.js"></script

• Options

I verified that I downloaded and installed 2.0.18.8 on 6/1/2013

• Options

Can you verify that the forums is installed in your /forum directory? That is, make sure the files exist via ftp or ssh.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Hi - Yes it is.

• Options

And what are the contents of your .htaccess file in your root and forum folders?

Also, does /forum/conf/config.php exist?

Search first

• Options

Elysa, can you enter the debug information from my signature, so you can have details once you can access that page? Can you try to turn up the Error Reporting to E_ALL please (maybe through .htaccess with ini_set() ). I know, it's too much, but we need to see details instead of blank page. Hope you understand.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

Ok, I wondered about that. Should the .htaccess be named 1.htaccess ?

• Options

and yes /forum/conf does have confg.php in it.

• Options

I renamed 1.htaccess to .htaccess, it did not help.

• Options
    ElysaElysa New
    edited August 2013

Here is what is in .htaccess. Is this correct?

# Original
    # If you modify this file then change the above line to: # Modified
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
       RewriteEngine On
       # Certain hosts may require the following line.
       # If vanilla is in a subfolder then you need to specify it after the /. 
       # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum)
       # RewriteBase /
       RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
       RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
       RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L]
    </IfModule>

Edited by UnderDog

• Options

If you put ~~~ before and after a block of text, it will retain white space here on the forums.

Try this:

# Modified
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
       RewriteEngine On
       # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum)
       RewriteBase /forum
    </IfModule>

Also, does your WP installation have a .htaccess file?

Search first

• Options

I think I see what happened... looks like conf file was hacked. :( Restoring now. Will let you know.

• Options

:-(( Nope. No love. I restored my config.php from the backup I grabbed just after my 2.0.18.4 update, but my forum still shows a blank page.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

try this into the htaccess file, also make sure the file config-defaults.php is there too.

# Modified
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
       RewriteEngine On
       # RewriteBase /forum
    </IfModule>

• Options

bootstrap.php and index.php were hacked also. I have restored those. But site is still not up. :(

• Options

Hi vrijvlinder - That did not do the trick either. Thank you for the suggestion.

• Options

Looks like config-defaults was hacked too. Restored that, but am still down. :(