HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Official Basic Pages Feedback Thread

Comments

• DenisSDenisS My brain hurts Buriram ✭✭
    edited August 2013

I touched upon upgrading before this and most say it's a minefield and don't do it if you don't know how to. I'm a newbe to coding only 6 months now so i just keep what i have. There was an upgrade facility plugin on here, but the more i read about it the less confidence i had in it.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited August 2013

@DenisS said:
    I touched upon upgrading before this and most say it's a minefield and don't do it if you don't know how to. I'm a newbe to coding only 6 months now so i just keep what i have. There was an upgrade facility plugin on here, but the more i read about it the less confidence i had in it.

Most people don't say that it's a minefield to upgrade. Most people actually say that it is a simple process. Most people on this forum who know how to do something with Vanilla started off with not knowing how to do something in the first place. Most people on these forums are volunteers who have taken some time out of their day to help people like yourself for free.

Nearly everything that you think seems like a big deal is probably not be a big deal at all, so go ahead and make a backup of your Vanilla forum files and database, and upgrade to 2.0.18.8.

Here is a wiki page with a list of what to do: how to upgrade your Vanilla forum. All you have to do is follow the list from top to bottom. It's that easy. Look at the number of steps there are on the page. In fact, the upgrade from 2.0.18.4 to 2.0.18.8 is very simple because it is a minor version update, and you don't need skills in programming and development to upgrade your forum.

If you do not learn how to upgrade your Vanilla forum, then you will be stuck with 2.0.18.4 forever. By staying with 2.0.18.4, you won't be able to receive support by other people who have moved on to the latest releases.

Knowing how to do something as simple as upgrading your Vanilla forum is not a curse. It is a kind of freedom.

It is time to get with the program and get on the same page as everyone else. It is time to upgrade, and it is time to start learning as we all have.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

look Denis the upgrade involves three files in the library for mysql it is not a big deal. Your problem is , you don't seem to follow or try to understand instructions. You need to try harder and get rid of the unfounded fear you have of the unknown.

please just try a little harder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU9Dsl89UGo

Thank's everyone for your help and the time you put in developing new plugins, but it's not a matter of not trying things, I do this everyday on plugins some i get working some i don't, but when i could bring the whole forum down it's very worrying the last quote on this auto upgrade topic was>>
    adriansonline Marketing Jedi vanilla
    July 17
    @DenisS don't at this point. It is not recommended . @underdog can you close this thread. It has gone way off topic

• @DenisS said:
    Thank's everyone for your help and the time you put in developing new plugins, but it's not a matter of not trying things, I do this everyday on plugins some i get working some i don't, but when i could bring the whole forum down it's very worrying the last quote on this auto upgrade topic was>>
    adriansonline Marketing Jedi vanilla
    July 17
    DenisS don't at this point. It is not recommended . underdog can you close this thread. It has gone way off topic

@adriansonline was referring to the Auto Upgrade plugin, which clearly states on its addon page that it's an alpha release and that it should not be downloaded.

Follow the steps outlined in the wiki page and report back when you are using 2.0.18.8.

edited August 2013

Look you don't need a plugin , just download a fresh 2.0.18.8 copy and only ftp to the library/database folder all the files in that folder and then change the version number in your config.php .

It is that simple. It is about the drivers and it should not affect absolutely anything in your forum. I did this to 6 forums I did not want to overwrite everything .

So just follow this

1.Download new copy

2.extract the database folder

3.ftp the files inside of the database folder into the database folder of forum and overwrite.

4.Change the version of Vanilla in the config.php

That is all.

but when i could bring the whole forum down it's very worrying

yes and who fixed your forum when it was down ? me that is who so please get a grip and trust then follow instructions and you can't go wrong.

edited August 2013

Follow this from top to bottom and your forum will be successfully upgraded:

1. Download 2.0.18.8. http://vanillaforums.org/get/vanilla-core
    2. Overwrite all of the files in your current forum install with everything from the 2.0.18.8 download.
    3. Delete every .ini file from the /cache folder.
    4. Go to http://YOURFORUM.com/index.php?p=/utility/update

lol @shadowdare that is what he does not want to do and I don't blame himI am sure he hacked the core and will lose some changes.... as per Todd either approach will work. It is a matter of choice... I wager you $50 bucks that DenisS will use my approach :)

edited August 2013

@vrijvlinder, it's not our problem if he hacked the core. If he hacked the core, then he should at least make a backup of his whole site before the upgrade.

The error he's getting with Basic Pages is probably from one of the core files getting changed in an update, not just the database drivers. He should replace everything to be sure we are all on the same page, then see if he is still getting the error.

edited August 2013

I see what you are getting at , yes it is a good idea to purge some stuff he has on there too. Maybe after this all his plugins even the V1 plugins will miraculously work ;) one can only hope ....
    all I know is that this is the panacea of make your own unlimited pages plugin and it is an awesome donation to the community and people should donate ....at the very least try to get it to work and then testify ...

• AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    edited August 2013

I will be removing my add-on as development has ceased. No need for confusion for others.

Yes vrijvlinder, i'll try your method first, if all ok than stick at that. I have written to bluehost as they say upgrade is >>
    With Bluehost, you have the option of updating Vanilla automatically.
    They've made it a bit harder to find, but if you can log in and get to your Control Panel:
    In the Mojo Marketplace list
    select, One Click Installs
    Top right corner: click View My Installs
    You should see Vanilla Forums listed.
    If there is an updated version available it should give you an Upgrade link.

But the link is not there, but the newer ver is listed.
    thanks

Shadowdare, The main problem i have is not understanding the jargon, I live out in the sticks in Thailand i have nobody to interact with except you and others online and your technical jargon is hard from me to understand sometimes. I have to google many things before i understand what you're talking about. Also you are far more technically advanced than me. So i have to be 100% sure before i do anything, things that seem simple to you are not that simple to me. Give me a house to rewire, an engine to rebuild a computer to fix i can do. But this is all very new to me. Yes, years ago i was part of a 3 man team writing software for the transport industries in England using concurrent DR dos but i done the flowcharts and i understand dos commands . I'm now coming up to 67 years old and still learning.

edited August 2013

@DenisS said:
    Shadowdare, The main problem i have is not understanding the jargon, I live out in the sticks in Thailand i have nobody to interact with except you and others online and your technical jargon is hard from me to understand sometimes. I have to google many things before i understand what you're talking about. Also you are far more technically advanced than me. So i have to be 100% sure before i do anything, things that seem simple to you are not that simple to me. Give me a house to rewire, an engine to rebuild a computer to fix i can do. But this is all very new to me. Yes, years ago i was part of a 3 man team writing software for the transport industries in England using concurrent DR dos but i done the flowcharts and i understand dos commands . I'm now coming up to 67 years old and still learning.

These upgrade steps are derived from the steps that have been listed in the official Vanilla forums documentation.

Nearly all the problems that you have with not understanding technical jargon are not a problem with Vanilla at all. You should have confidence when you are able to backup your forum and you won't have to learn a programming language if you follow the instructions step by step. If you still don't know what to do, hire someone to do it for you.

Even if someone knows a bit more than you, they will still run into troubles of their own. Try the steps out and if you get any errors coming up from the upgrade, create a separate discussion about it.

In order to receive support, know the basics to not just Vanilla, but also the basics to websites and everything else. We have all tried to help you out as much we can, but we cannot help when you can't upgrade your forum for an error that we have not been able to reproduce for Basic Pages on 2.0.18.8.

If you believe that you cannot do something before you even attempt to do it, then of course it will be impossible to achieve!

This discussion is about the Basic Pages application. The main point of some of the previous comments is to help you solve the error that you are receiving with it, but your problems extend beyond the scope of the support we can provide with this application.

The main problem i have is not understanding the jargon

Come on Denis!! you can always google any term you do not understand. How do you think we all learned whatever we know?

I live out in the sticks in Thailand i have nobody to interact with except you and others online

So do many other people. peregrine lives in uzbekistan or something, I live under a rock or against a rock most of the time. We just make the effort to learn by searching the web. As long as you are connected to the web and can search, you are not alone and you can't use that as an excuse not to try to find things .

So i have to be 100% sure before i do anything, things that seem simple to you are not that simple to me.

Nothing wrong with being sure, but you need to trust when someone with experience tells you what and how to do it. It is as simple as you make it in your head. Things are straight forward just like wiring a house. Anyone can do it once they learn what it involves .

I'm now coming up to 67 years old and still learning.

You should be glad to be still alive, most people I have known did not get past 57 :(

It is never too late to learn. The first step is to read and study and search what you do not understand so you can eventually understand it.

edited August 2013

Version 1.5.1 of Basic Pages has been released.

Changes include:

• Saving a page after editing it now shows a message box.
    • Modified route expression suffix for hiding "/page" from the URL. Be sure to re-enable the application if you are upgrading from a previous version.
    • Some bug fixes and other minor changes.

Note: this version has been tested with 2.0.18.8 and 2.1b1. The latest stable Vanilla release is highly recommended.

Updating from version 1.4:

Download version 1.5.1, replace all the files of the application with the new ones, and then re-enable the application.

• Really cool application.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

2nd that. :) Works great (i also love the frontpage Edit that sends you to the backend).

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
    edited August 2013

Thanks for the comments, @Deonte and @phreak!

Version 1.6 released.

Added styling to the pages. The page title font size is bigger and padding is added to pages when using the mobile theme in Vanilla 2.0 and 2.1+.

Updating from version 1.5.1:

Replace all the files of the application with the new ones, and then re-enable the application.

I have now upgraded to 2.0.18.8 on one lesser forum and it seems ok with the New Verions of Basic Pages. But i also found out the this new ver 1.5.1 works ok with 2.0.18.4. I'm just finding my way around how to set it all up. Thanks for you help