Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

The latest stable release on git

simashinsimashin New
edited August 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Before i installed vanilla in the first time, i actually read the main Readme on github -
https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/blob/master/README.markdown

The master branch of the vanillaforums repository will always contain our latest production (release) code. It should be the most stable source code you can download from us....

Ok - i said and pulled it and started to use it. )))
But later i saw the version in Admin interface it 2.2.3.3 (for me), now in master it is already 2.2.3.4

So the question is - is the master branch on git the real "latest production (release) code" ? Or the main Readme need to be edited )

Comments

• So i understand now that the most stable self hosted version is 2.0.18.8, from the download link ))).
    And if i want to use 2.1, the most stable is 2.1 branch from git.
    Am i right now?

P.S. some days ago there were other branches - 'release/2.2' and 'release/2.1b1' in addition to 2.1 and 2.0, now it much easier to choose with only 2.1 and 2.0

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I believe they release in even and odd numbers depending on if open or closed source. I read Todd or someone wrote that it is even number for their hosted solution so it will be 2.4 for them and 2.3 for us . Based on the evolution that is what it seems . But I could be wrong ... hard to know for sure

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

So much irritation scnr!

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin

@vrijvlinder said:
    I believe they release in even and odd numbers depending on if open or closed source.

That was just spitballing ideas. We haven't decided on that as of yet.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

about the ultimate version or the way you release versions for open and closed source ?

• @simashin said:
    P.S. some days ago there were other branches - 'release/2.2' and 'release/2.1b1' in addition to 2.1 and 2.0, now it much easier to choose with only 2.1 and 2.0

Yep and now we have this version for the 'cutting edge' release : https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/tree/2.1 but if you want stable, non-beta, stick with 2.0.18.8 and beyond.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

btw: where should pull requests be made? Only to 2.1 or is it better to make a pull request to the latest version or to both?

• @UnderDog said:
    Yep and now we have this version for the 'cutting edge' release : https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/tree/2.1 but if you want stable, non-beta, stick with 2.0.18.8 and beyond.

As i said already - it is more clear now, then was.

Now the interesting thing, how will vanillaforum feels after downgrade from master branch with 2.2.3.4 to 2.1 branch ))).

• The hosted is obviously not released.

OS (except a notable exception), is based on code being released.

I think even an odd number might be confusing, but you could just add a descriptor ot the version. However why it is relevant to us, not sure.

grep is your friend.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@R_J said:
    btw: where should pull requests be made? Only to 2.1 or is it better to make a pull request to the latest version or to both?

I am not sure, but I have been submitting PR to the branch the issue is listed against. I assume that most pull requests will be against 2.1 as it has the widest release (of dev versions).

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Yeah, please make pull requests against either the version branch or develop depending on what you're working on. I'm sure 2.1 will be the most common target for now.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@x00 said:
    The hosted is obviously not released.

It is released in the sense that it's whatever is on master branch.

@simashin said:
    Now the interesting thing, how will vanillaforum feels after downgrade from master branch with 2.2.3.4 to 2.1 branch ))).

Are you asking if it's safe to downgrade? It probably is, just make sure you back everything up first.