Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Wordpress VS Drupal for vanilla forums.

Hey Guys,

Do you guys think wordpress or drupal works better with vanilla forums? I am looking to install a CMS and is having a hard deciding which one option to take. Is anyone using drupal at the moment?

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

It all depends what you will use WP or Drupal for. Drupal is a content management software, and WordPress is blogging software.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

It's a little bit offtopic - sorry for that! - but if you are completly undecided and open minded yet, I'd recommend taking a look at ProcessWire. To me, it's elegance is astonishing.
    But I really do not want to start a discussion about which CMS is the best. Just trying to promote a relativly unknown piece of great work.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the comunity!

I definitely think that between the two, WP is easier to get up and running. Drupal has more capability. They are both very extensible.

I have a few sites running WP. I know @shadowdare has experience with Drupal.

It really comes down to what you are looking to do. I personally only use WP if someone else is adminning the site. If you are just looking to put up a few pages, you should check out Basic Pages and use just Vanilla.

@R_J that looks like some really cool software. Bookmarking for a future project :D

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Thanks all!

The site will have some blogging but the goal is create a large database of products, similar to http://gdg.to/1zmMJ4

I believe that drupal is king when it comes to taxonomy and tagging so I think it might be good because creating a huge product database would require a strong taxonomy so users can easily find product information.

However, I am more familiar with WP.

My question now is what would happen if I start with WP first and then move to Drupal later. If users sign up on my forum via wordpress, would users have to recreate their account if i move to drupal later? Would the migration be messy?

Depends what you call messy. Assuming you use jsConnect to integrate your forums, you could set up your new site to be the same provider as your old one. It will take some SQL know-how.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Thanks guys, just to clarify, jsConnect can work with wordpress and drupal? I would just need to play around with the SQL if I change from wordpress to drupal later on?

jsConnect has provider agnostic authentication, so you should be able to in theory switch providers, change the keys, and be on your way.

Looks like there is a drupal module called orchid that will work with jsConnect: https://drupal.org/project/orchid.

Search first

• I suggest you to take drupal. Because drupal is one of the new CMS which can easily manage and develop to use.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited May 2014

That Vanilla team has more experience with WordPress and maintains a WP-specific plugin, so I'd lean in that direction. However we'd certainly welcome a plug-and-play Drupal integration (or even just Drupal integration steps documented) if anyone were up for the task. Vanilla loves integrations.