Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Where is this data located in the database

http://imgur.com/67vvfZ3 shows the user data for a recently registered user, including a spammy link. I got hit by a few dozen of these and am looking for where this data is located in the database, so that I can purge these folks, but looking through the various tables, I can't find the data.

Could someone point me to the right table so that I can identify these folks?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options

If you delete the user, you can remove their posts with them. That is in the activity table, it is a special type of post called a wall post (the most frivolous type IMO).

I would make user profile hidden to guest, it make it less attractive to spammers.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

GDN_Activity

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Well, yes, I can delete this user trivially. What I'm looking for is to identify the other 100, 1000, or whatever, users that I haven't yet identified, which have this same pattern in their bot-created accounts.

Thanks, @hgtonight

• Options

Also, if you are running 2.0.18.8, remove the Activity.View permission from guests (as it also allows posting to the activity wall).

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

GDN_Activity contain different types of activity. You want wall posts containing links. You would need to join the ActivityType table to the Activity table On the ActivityTypeID (or simply look it up). Then search for the pattern.

You can delete the post directly out of the activity table, but that wouldn't delete the users.

Best avoid directly deleting entries from the User table it is better to update by changing the Name to [Deleted User] insert some random string for Password, and set Deleted to TRUE.

grep is your friend.

• Options

@x00 I agree it is best to go through the models to avoid corrupting your tables or orphaning data.

@rbowen check out my Bulk Edit plugin to quickly delete multiple users through the dashboard. This will let you use the /dashboard/user page to search/sort on different criteria and remove them (and their content if desired).

/shameless plug

Search first

• Options

Always backup

grep is your friend.