HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Dreaming of a Vanilla module manager

2»

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Mark had a very cool Pipe Dream .... In my opinion , user interface is over rated once you know how you can do it from inside.

It would be sufficient to add a short line in the page one wants the modules, to add them.

this->AddModule or set asset should work like that ... but it does not on everything and varies by version .

or a config statement to add the modules to the plugin controller one wants. It seems to me 2.1 and above is getting closer to this ideal.

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@vrijvlinder said:
    Mark had a very cool Pipe Dream .... In my opinion , user interface is over rated once you know how you can do it from inside.

That may be right, but many users don't want to learn how to touch files. UI is, in my experience, the most expensive part of all software. The basic Logger plugin took me one day to implement. Adding an Admin interface to configure it took two full weeks of work.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

but many users don't want to learn how to touch files

Well if they have problems they will have to anyway. Imagine a User who messes something up like the wrong forum root or something like that and now they can't access the site. They can't access the precious UI... what to do !!

My first thing is hit the configs to see what I did wrong, where are the configs ? etc etc. If people don't learn the innards they will be stuck if they have problems. A user interface should be a convenience not the only resort . Plus sometimes they have problems like the remove plugin button that wiped out plugin folder.

Sometimes we don't know if a button is working properly but can see the error within the code...

The basic Logger plugin took me one day to implement. Adding an Admin interface to configure it took two full weeks of work.

Yes but you have 25 years of experience so in reality it took you 25+ years ;) lol!

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@vrijvlinder said:
    Yes but you have 25 years of experience so in reality it took you 25+ years ;) lol!

You just added 10 years of age on my shoulders. I suddenly feel old.

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited September 2013

Hey all,

Hui there are many opinions here. I do not agree with the opinion that a module manager is obsolete. Look at the major CMS system that grew strong because of their simplicity, right now is the spot for new community solutions and Vanilla is on the top amongst 5 to 6 other solutions who gain popularity aside of comon Social Media networks.

A module manager would be great to understand the concept much better, but i'm sure the Vanillas have a cool roadmap. And it would be more than cool to have a look into. Especially what is in preparation for OS and Hosted would be great. Just because its a lot of fun and emotion to follow a plan and the community here could probably support here and there with projects going alongside those developments. But of course this will be a dream.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla