HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

What to do with or about unsupported plugins?

vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
edited September 2013 in General Banter

I was wondering if there may be an archive to place all unsupported plugins . That may be a good way to not commingle . But I do like the idea of having them around even if it is to learn something.

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Something like a legacy repository?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

You say "Lincoln, delete this plugin" and I go "OK" and do it.

Save 'em for posterity on GitHub, not where non-technical users can find them.

@Lincoln are all the addons uploaded stored in a repository somewhere else?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @Lincoln you planing to remove the V1 pluigns?

grep is your friend.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@hgtonight Any made by the Vanilla staff are. Otherwise, it's up to the individual authors.

@x00 Not immediately, but that is in the cards, yes.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

If we were to revise the addon repository, we'd have a hard look at powering it entirely off GitHub repos.

• You are welcome to remove mine.

grep is your friend.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

@Lincoln

You say "Lincoln, delete this plugin" and I go "OK" and do it.

I say there chap - "Lincoln, delete this plugin"

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/hidetitle-plugin

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/hidecategory-plugin (it has been superceded by R_J's plugin)

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited September 2013

@peregrine Done

• @Lincoln

thanks Lincoln.

sorry I edited the above message and you probably didn't see this...

I say there chap - "Lincoln, delete this plugin"

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/hidecategory-plugin (it has been superceded by R_J's plugin)

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@hgtonight said:
    Something like a legacy repository?

Yea exactly. the plugin archive. It is good to keep them for the sake of studying them or to get an idea for something else.

I think they serve as documentation that relates to the changes that have been made to Vanilla through time.

It serves as an educational resource tool.

I think only the plugins which do not work at all or cause severe problems should be deleted.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

@vrijvlinder said:
    It is good to keep them for the sake of studying

its a mixed bag. studying on how to do things the wrong way, in some cases :)

But I see your point.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@vrijvlinder said:
    It serves as an educational resource tool.

Sounds like studying from a 1973 chemistry book. Yeah, you'll learn some stuff... not all of it good.

I could see it as more inspirational than educational.

That said, I support removing them from being easily accessible via the website (link to a git repo somewhere sounds like a fine idea).

Search first

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@Lincoln said:
    Sounds like studying from a 1973 chemistry book. Yeah, you'll learn some stuff... not all of it good.

They had chemistry books in 1973 ?

well maybe it's a personal thing that I went and looked at old plugins to see if I could adapt them and was successful with some with others no. It is more for inspirational like hgtonight says I suppose.