HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

MailChimp plugin feedback

Comments

• Options
    lifeisfoolifeisfoo Zombie plugins finder ✭✭✭

In the meanwhile I remind you that this problem is related only to vanilla 2.0. With 2.1 and 2.2 everything is ok.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

Im in production..... 2.0.18.8 is the current prod version.

What are peoples opinion on running 2.1 in prod???

What are the risks? (security being my biggest concern)

• Options
    TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭

@jackjitsu said:
    Im in production..... 2.0.18.8 is the current prod version.

What are peoples opinion on running 2.1 in prod???

I run 2.1 production, because it contains many of the features our community needs. Granted that I know I will receive limited support, if I run issues into it. It allows bugs that may not be found, to be found and reported: allowing for a more stable final release.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

IMO:

2.1 is in its second beta. This is mostly because it needs to be tested on a wider range of hardware. It is pretty solid, and I make a point to support it in any plugins I make. I still wouldn't suggest running it on a production site.

2.0.18.8 is stable. It is the only version that I recommend using in production as it receives security patches from Vanilla Inc if issues crop up.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Is there a timeline somewhere I can watch? I have no idea what the ETA for 2.1

• Options

@jackjitsu

no guarantees. in either version. In 2.1 its possible security flaws could be fewer, or greater. Until there found or reported, its hard to tell.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/190810#Comment_190810

there are a few developers running 2.1 live. I don't run a live forum, but if you can roll with some of this punches, like Tama, I would also suggest 2.1 because it has so many more features. So you have to decide based on "what is in your heart" :)

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013
    just a suggestion  @lifeisfoo

• wouldn't it be better NOT to rely on config setting (I've seen numerous people running vanilla without the correct version in config after an upgrade. I bet 50% of the forum owners reflect the wrong version number in the config.php) and things work fine unless you depend upon the $Configuration['Vanilla']['Version'] statement

$Configuration['Vanilla']['Version'] = '2.0.18.4';

instead of:

if(version_compare(C('Vanilla.Version'), '2.1', '<')) {

and work off this instead.

APPLICATION_VERSION

wouldn't APPLICATION_VERSION   be more reliable?  that is what reflects in dashboard.

$ver = substr((C('Vanilla.Version')),0,3);
       $ver2 = substr(APPLICATION_VERSION,0,3);
       var_dump($ver);
       var_dump( $ver2);

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

I'm running 2.1 on two forums, one is up since 2.1b1 (~march).

@Peregrine Thank you for the suggestion

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@jackjitsu said:
    Is there a timeline somewhere I can watch? I have no idea what the ETA for 2.1

If I could get a dollar for every time this was asked I think I could live in Hawaii by now ;)

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

@jackjitsu said: Is there a timeline somewhere I can watch? I have no idea what the ETA for 2.1

I think the answer is ahora mismo or manana

V said: If I could get a dollar for every time this was asked I think I could live in Hawaii by now ;)

on your own private island in hawaii I bet.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Yes, it is the equivalent to " Are we there yet? "" Are we there yet? "" Are we there yet? "" Are we there yet? "" Are we there yet? "" Are we there yet? "" Are we there yet? "" Are we there yet? "v" Are we there yet? "" Are we there yet? "v" Are we there yet? "v" Are we there yet? "" Are we there yet? "" Are we there yet? "" Are we there yet? "

I can hear the cha ching$$$$$

• Options

@x00 I'm going to use js to add the checkbox in 2.0. Do you have a better alternative?

• Options

@lifeisfoo said:
    x00 I'm going to use js to add the checkbox in 2.0. Do you have a better alternative?

You can do that, plus you can also create middle page if the condition fails.

I personally will be putting the option to put it on the profile, instead, and a dynamic management of the mailing list/user base.

grep is your friend.

• Options

@lifeisfoo I have a suggestion. I had MailChimp Intergration Installed, but i could not subscribe from "Edit Profile" in Vanilla 2.1b2. Can you add an option in Edit Profile if people decide to change their minds and subscribe?

• Options

@x00 @ilovetech This is a good feature and probably I'll add it in the near future, but I want to keep the registration checkbox since it was sponsored and I think it's useful. Probably I'll add options in the settings page to select enabled/disabled features. Currently I'm iper-busy setting up a vanilla support site for italian speakers. I'll check this asap.

• Options

I have Vanilla version 2.0.18.8 and have enabled the plugin. It has worked great in exporting all my members to my Mail Chimp account. However, for new registration [i have it set for approval required] i get this error message after they fill out the registration form. This does not appear if I use the 'basic' setting rather than the 'approval' one. Could somebody explain what it means and in detail how to fix it?

Could not find a '/var/www/html/forum/plugins/MailChimpIntegration/views/registerthanks.php' view for the 'entry' controller in the 'dashboard' application.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2014

@Zendor

it is missing that view in the plugin.

registerthanks.php

you can copy it from here

https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/blob/master/applications/dashboard/views/entry/registerthanks.php

and put it in '/var/www/html/forum/plugins/MailChimpIntegration/views/registerthanks.php'

I suppose you need to change

<li class="Buttons">
             <?php echo $this->Form->Button('Sign Up'); ?>
          </li>

to

<?php 
             include('mailchimp-opt.php');
          ?>
          <li class="Buttons">
          </li>

in your var/www/html/forum/plugins/MailChimpIntegration/views/registerthanks.php

• 3 I haven't tested - just looked at the error message you reported and the code.

BTW, I never looked at this plugin before but since it overrides registration views, it is not compatible with either botstopapproval plugin or botstop plugin, just in case you were wondering.

• Options

Thanks again!

I added registerthanks.php to where you suggested and it all goes through.

I didn't understand the next part of your advice? I don't see anything like that in the registerthanks.php file to modify? What is it for?

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2014

it is possible you don't need step 2 if mail chimp now works for you.

if it doesn't work properly then you might need to modify registerthanks.php as in step 2

to add the

<?php
    include('mailchimp-opt.php');
    ?>

above the lines

<li class="Buttons">
    </li>

disregard part 3 if you don't use either the botstopapproval plugin

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/botstopapproval-plugin

or the botstop plugin.

• Options

Okay, thanks.

I think I'll give it a go and add the botstopapproval plugin - can I change the questions? If so where?