HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to backup most of your forum's data before reinstalling or upgrading Vanilla

2»

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

While I am not against using the porter as a upgrade tactic, it is absolutely crucial to backup /uploads and /conf in addition to custom themes, plugins, and applications.

If you are making a backup for restore purpose, why not just backup your entire forum install folder and db? Then you can install your setup locally and test any upgrade process or changes you want to make before going live.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

@whu606 said:
    ilovetech

I am sure you meant well, but these instructions are not clear, and are frankly unnecessary, since clearer guidelines already exist.

best comment of the bunch!

so the OP has agreed to deletion and since the instructions lack crucial steps to saving necessary info. what do you say we delete and/or close and sink - Moderators.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• edited October 2013

The point of backing up /plugins and /theme is not only so they can override some of the included ones, but so they Don't have to redownload everything

• edited October 2013

OK. I don't want to argue anymore. Take this down. I am pretty sure I have better tutorials to post

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Just so people know, I can't delete this discussion (or close it).

@UnderDog? @whu606? @Lincoln?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @ilovetech never mind at least you tried. Point is there are official upgrade instructions, which should be tried first.

grep is your friend.

• Okay. This thread is of no use to me at all. But it scares the @#@! out of me.
    One more nail in the Vanilla coffin. Time to consider spruz or ning.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@taichicentral said:
    Okay. This thread is of no use to me at all. But it scares the @#@! out of me.
    One more nail in the Vanilla coffin. Time to consider spruz or ning.

For the record, the discussion starter is a young person learning Vanilla. This discussion doesn't represent reality.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@taichicentral

I'm really not sure of the point of your post.

Why would this thread 'scare' you?

It was a well-intentioned, but inaccurate post by a young user.

It does not reflect anything on Vanilla itself.

This discussion has been closed.