Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Bonk error with Smarty, do I need to create templates_c directory?*

shashashasha New
edited November 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I am getting this error : Something funky happened. Please bear with us while we iron out the kinks

I am on Version 2.0.18.8

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited November 2013

What is the actual error?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• in case he doesn't realize you provided a link, because light blue is so hard to distiguish it is a clickable link.

I have posted an obvious link

http://vanillaforums.org/docs/errors

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• shashashasha New
    edited November 2013

The error occurred on or near: /library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.php

1109: * @param integer $error_type

1110: */

1111: function trigger_error($error_msg, $error_type = E_USER_WARNING)

1112: {

1113: trigger_error("Smarty error: $error_msg", $error_type);

1114: }

1115:

1116:

1117: /**

Please let me know what change I have to make?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

Several things - @jeongwee probably never tested it on 2.0.18.8

The theme should have a requirement of vanilla 2.1

for 2.0.18.8 - to get rid of errors

two things:

in Leaf/views/default.master.tpl

there is no such thing as a categories_link in 2.0.18.8

you can do one of two things

change line 16 from

{categories_link}

to
    {category_link}

OR

create a function.categories_link.php

and place it in library/vendors/SmartyPlugins

Also in 2.0.18.8

you may need to remove in Leaf/views/default.master.tpl

{module name="MeModule"}

then when you have the errors gone.

you may need to style the sitemenu correctly and adjust other style elements in custom.css

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Probably a good idea when uploading a new plugin or theme

make sure it works with the current stable release

or if it doesn't work with current stable release
    - put a requirement for the version it does actually does work with and the one you tested it on.

or a note in the plugin and theme or description - only tested in vanilla version x.x.xxx

• jeongweejeongwee Vanilla version 2.6 ✭✭
    edited November 2013

peregrine said:
    Several things - jeongwee probably never tested it on 2.0.18.8

yea,i never test it on 2.0.18.8.

theres a title on the theme based on 2.1

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

@jeongwee

theres a title on the theme based on 2.1

in english "based on 2.1" does not signify "required vanilla 2.1.x " or tested only in vanilla 2.1b2" which be more obvious to new users.

and a requirement in the info in the about.php would alleviate the problem of users trying to enable theme in version of vanilla less than vanilla 2.1 .

By preventing them from enabling theme in a lower version it would prevent (new users or novices from getting errors that crash their system).

just pointing it out.

• I've changed the title for you. Search the forum and report back once you've solved it :-)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• @Underdog - for this theme to work in 2.0.18 if would require massive styling changes. i just told him how to not get errors.

Perhaps the better title.

"This theme requires Vanilla application 2.1.x"

• jeongweejeongwee Vanilla version 2.6 ✭✭
    edited November 2013

@peregrine said:
    Underdog - for this theme to work in 2.0.18 if would require massive styling changes. i just told him how to not get errors.

Perhaps the better title.

"This theme requires Vanilla application 2.1.x"

sry for the bad english :(

i have changed the description.

thx for pointing it out.