HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

User/Content deletion doesn't delete the connected Tags under 2.0.18.9 & Ideas

phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
edited December 2013 in Feedback

Hi all,

Under 2.0.18.9, if discussions are deleted through deleting the user > remove all content (for example discussions created by spammers) the Tags remain in the DB and are showing on the forum in the sidepanel. Also deleting tags with needing to "Ok" or "Cancel" it, could take a lot of time. Would be cool to administer this more easily.

:: Anyone has an idea if i can delete the Tags via the Database, or do i kill convergencies with the discussions then. Otherwise it's horrifying to kill 600 tags (made by Spammers) in the backend.

:: AND Tags accept entities on the end of word like "tagsname," or "tagname)", which does also hinder to create a valuable tagging system.

:: It would also be a good idea to make the tags sortable by popularity in the backend. So it's easier to see which ones are popular.

:: Deleting tags makes the plugin in the backend jump back to the first page. This makes it very click heavy to work in this section. Would be better if there is no page redirect.

:: One more: Renaming tags does now lead them to error out if the tags already exists. A adding routine would be very cool here. Let's say with a car based forum and have the tags "TIRE" and "TIRES". It would make sense in this an many other tag managment cases to rename the "TIRE" tag into "TIRES".

Greetz

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
Tagged:

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I have never used tagging extensively, but I thank you for the bug reports!

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

Are you currently in charge for the Tags-Plugin hgtonight?

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

its not a great solution nor a fix for the plugin.

if the tags were fine on 11/20/2013

but if the spammers attacked on 11/21/13

you could use phpmyadmin to delete any tags created on 11/21/13 and afterwards in tag table via date inserted column.

which tagging plugin version?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

@peregrine: Yep, i thought of that. But i don't know if there are any relations to other tables... for example: GDN_TagDiscussion.

It's better to have no leftovers in the database or some more worse... essential strings between tables cut.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

yes

the usermodel in core to delete from plugin data.

An idea. meanwhile you could select.

SELECT TagID, GDN_TagDiscussion.DiscussionID, GDN_TagDiscussion.CategoryID
    FROM `GDN_TagDiscussion`
    INNER JOIN GDN_Discussion ON GDN_Discussion.DiscussionID = GDN_TagDiscussion.DiscussionID

it would give you a new table to export. then you could empty table and import.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@phreak said:
    Are you currently in charge for the tags

plugin hgtonight?

Oh heavens no! I hope someone in charge of it has at least used the plugin ;)

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.