Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[2.1b2] Bizarre loading issue

ZhaanZhaan Professional fool ✭✭
edited December 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Well, at least I find it bizarre.

Basically my forum is taking forever to load (20-30 secs to load any page), but only when I'm logged in to an account. None of my users seem to be experiencing this issue, which makes it even weirder.

Quick summary:

• Wasn't a problem until this week.
  • Only affects me when logged into any account
  • Problem persists in Chrome, Firefox, IE11 and Opera. No cache/cookie issue, in other words.
  • The only changes I've made recently were CSS related (aside from this and this.)

So.. any clues, guys?

Comments

• Nope, no clue, maybe turn on the debugger so you can see which queries take so long. Maybe it's notification stuff? Since you're the admin... I can remember plugins for FireFox like Yslow. Hope it's CSS related and not really DB stuff...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• ZhaanZhaan Professional fool ✭✭
    edited December 2013

My admin account is not the only one being affected though. I have tested it on several accounts including non-staff ones, and those didn't do any better.

I was wondering if my connection could be blamed.. but it seems very unlikely considering the circumstances.

Will turn on debug and install Yslow asap!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

Only affects me when logged into any account

maybe its a plugin that is activated - when you are logged in.

clear your browser cache
    use a web developer - and look at load times of various css and js files.

and do the same when logged and not logged in.

profiler and network in chrome.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

I hadn't though of that, but why would a plugin act up now of all times? /shrug

I will say that the site is blistering fast when I'm logged out, so you could be right. I will disable everything and get back to you. Thanks!

edited January 2014

Alright guys, I think @UnderDog might be right about notifications. I just made a fresh test account with standard user role and everything is butter smooth.

The accounts I tested earlier (most of which were staff members) had quite a few notifications and conversations piled up..

• It might still be an interesting bug, like the notifications, if you have 5, the loading time takes 5 times as long and if you have 20 notifications it will take 20 times as long. If that's the case it will be very very interesting.

That's what beta testing is all about. You'll encounter it before the entire community encounters the bug.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• try turning off javascript and making a comparison.

grep is your friend.

I'll try that, but is there any way to mass-delete notifications? It seems I have several pages worth of them. :<

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Visiting the first page of your notifications should clear the unread flag on all of them, IIRC.

http://forum.example.com/profile/notifications

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

edited January 2014

I understand that, but what if I want to delete them completely at the same time? I wish that was possible with conversations as well.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

I understand that, but what if I want to delete them completely at the same time? I wish that was possible with conversations as well.

what do you mean by delete? delete the count or remove from activity?

and what do you want to delete from conversations? the count?

and what is the issue with visiting the page.

do you just want a button that clears all counters?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• you could a button or tab in profile that clears activity notifications.

$this->ActivityModel->MarkRead(Gdn::Session()->UserID);

without going to page.

for conversations it looks trickier.

$CountUnread = 0;
    Gdn::UserModel()->SetField($UserID, 'CountUnreadConversations', $CountUnread);

but you would probably need to zero out in a few tables as well.

Visiting the notifications page will indeed clear the unread counter, but the actual notifications are still listed there until you click the 'x' in the corner. That's what I mean by removing them completely. Sorry if I'm being unclear.

• you could use the activity purge plugin and change the date.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/activitypurge-plugin

this would clear all users though without a mod.

but with a donation, I might be able to modify it so a specific user can clear all notifications from their own activity wall.

Ah... Sorry about that @Zhaan.

Notifications are actually just a type of activity items. Activities can be assigned to an arbitrary user, or be public. They can also notify an arbitrary number of users.

Use the plugin @peregrine mentioned to purge large quantities of activities. :D

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

edited January 2014

Awesome, I'll give your plugin a try. :)

Also.. here's what debug mode told me:

Info Need to re-index theme cache

Info Need to re-index plugin cache

Any clues on how to do this?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

its a common message for everyone I believe.

edited below....

I don't worry about it.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

According to Tim:

That is a debug output designed for troubleshooting problems with APC/memcache caching of that information. If you don't have either enabled, those resources are always re-indexed on each pageload.

https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/issues/1717

Pretty sure it has to do with whether or not you have a cache system enabled in php.

Search first

• @vrijvlinder said:
    According to Tim:

That is a debug output designed for troubleshooting problems with APC/memcache caching of that information. If you don't have either enabled, those resources are always re-indexed on each pageload.

https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/issues/1717

mystery solved. :)