Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Badges not being awarded

ascomascom New
edited January 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I found that badges in this plugin fail to be awarded, even on a clean localhost install.

• Social badges are broken
  • Comment count badges are broken
  • Discussion count badges are broken
  • It seems that all badges are broken.

Is there a quick fix for this? Also, I'm thinking of going away from this plugin and moving to the awards plugin because this application seems to have a lot of issues.

Comments

• ascomascom New
    edited January 2014

Some extra notes:

• PHP versions 5.4.9-4ubuntu2.3 and 5.5.3-1ubuntu2.1
    • Apache versions 2.2.22-6ubuntu5.1 and 2.4.6-2ubuntu2.1 (respectively)
    • Yaga cloned from the GitHub repo, shortly after Zachary Doll's "Updated rule descriptions and fixed some locale errors" commit
    • Vanilla Forums version 2.1b2
  • ascomascom New
    edited January 2014

@businessdad said:
    To make sure that issues are fixed more easily, I would recommend to expand "broken" into something more detailed. I find it odd that not a single badge is awarded, therefore there may be some particular condition that causes them not to be processed correctly.

By broken, I mean that I haven't ever gotten a badge to ever be awarded automatically. For example, when I add a badge "First Comment," set it to "More than 0 comments," it doesn't award the badge even though I (and a another account) left a comment on my forums.

(Also, I'm sorry if I was too harsh; I'm really bad at communicating)

Edit: Vanilla forums (this forum with its proprietary plugins) just awarded me a badge as I was editing this post! :)

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

That's ok, and thanks for the more detailed explanation. It will help troubleshooting the issue.

I'd like to take the chance to make a suggestion on a "global scale", to anyone who will read this thread: please provide as much detail as possible, when reporting issues. We all know it's tedious to explain everything, especially when something broke while you were using it, but "it's broken", "nothing works" and so on are not useful feedback and won't help getting a solution. I've been in IT for many years and, every time a customer calls and says "nothing works", I just reply that it's great news and they can go on holiday, because it will take months to fix "everything". That's when they realise that they have been slightly vague and they give a much better explanation of the issue. :)

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Thanks for trying my application!

Badge awards are currently set up to only check and award on criteria changes. This happens when the rule hook is executed.

For example, setting up a badge for 1 discussion will not award the badge to every user that already has 1 or more discussion. The next time that rule hook is executed for them would be when they (or another user) modifies one of their existing discussions or creates a new one.

This is done as an optimization to prevent excess checking. You have X users and Y criteria, that would quickly escalate and start bringing servers to their knees.

There could be a system that 'batch checks' new/modified badges, but I can't imagine it ever scaling to many users. I will add it to my wish list. :)

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

Have you not been awarded a badge after you add another discussion?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @hgtonight said:
    Have you not been awarded a badge after you add another discussion?

Yes, that is the case. It's also the case with Facebook connect, where I connect my Facebook account and "nothing" happens. It's also the case with comments, reactions, etc.

Do you have any JavaScript errors in your console?

Could you paste your /conf/config.php file with private info removed?

Search first

• ascomascom New
    edited January 2014

@hgtonight

Okay...here is the config from the localhost install, which wasn't working: https://gist.github.com/as-com/8270843

And, no, I haven't seen any errors in the JS console.

You don't appear to have the badges portion of yaga enabled. There should be a config item called $Configuration['Yaga']['Badges']['Enabled'] = TRUE; when it is enabled.

You should be able to enable it via http://forum.example.com/settings/yaga

Search first

• ascomascom New
    edited January 2014

@hgtonight

Hmmmm... That's really weird. I'll try the direct option in the config...

EDIT: I tried adding the option in the config, and it still didn't give me the badge when I left a comment. I CAN HAZ BADGEZ?!?! :p

Try adding it manually to your config file for now.

$Configuration['Yaga']['Badges']['Enabled'] = TRUE;

Search first

• ascomascom New
    edited January 2014

@hgtonight

@ascom said:

>

EDIT: I tried adding the option in the config, and it still didn't give me the badge when I left a comment. I CAN HAZ BADGEZ?!?! :p

Did that config item stay in your config file?

Search first

• @hgtonight said:
    Did that config item stay in your config file?

Yes, it's still there.

Could you post a dump of your Badge table?

Search first

• @hgtonight said:
    Could you post a dump of your Badge table?

Here's the table dump: https://gist.github.com/as-com/8272596

And you have 2 discussions or two comments on the account?

Search first

• @hgtonight said:
    And you have 2 discussions or two comments on the account?

Yes, I have both 2 discussions and comments.

Is there anything in the award table?

Search first