HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

New addon: Author Selector

LincLinc Detroit Admin

Just what it says on the tin.

Comments

• Is there any chance to make it compatible with Vanilla 2.0.18.10?

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited January 2014

Thanks

When I go to change an author, it doesn't offer a choice from a drop out list as I type (like, for example, adding users to conversations.)

Is it meant to?

If not, would it be a big nuisance to add it as a feature?

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@jvil The hooks are different; I don't know if that's even possible to support both versions at once.

@whu606 Eh? Yeah, it's definitely supposed to autocomplete. I actually got the code directly from Conversations.

edited January 2014

@Lincoln

Curious...

I'm on 2.1b1, and I've just tried it again with all other plugins disabled, but still not getting the list, which I do get if I try to start a new PM message.

The actual change works fine if I type in the full user name.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

I only tested against master (2.2) :\

I'm wondering if jquery.autocomplete.js was still a separate entity in 2.1 and it needs to be included manually.

I probably got this wrong, but tried editing line 88 to this

$Sender->AddJsFile('authorselector.js', 'jquery.autocomplete.js', 'plugins/AuthorSelector');

after copying jquery.automplete.js from the library, to the js folder of AuthorSelector, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I was looking for something like this after I split discussions using split and merge.

Much love!

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP
    edited January 2014

@jvil said:
    Is there any chance to make it compatible with Vanilla 2.0.18.10?

It can be done as follows:

• Change the event used to render the element.
    • Replace the rendering logic, which is incompatible with Vanilla 2.0 (2.1+ use an array of options, or <li> elements, while 2.0 uses <span> elements.
    • Replace the JavaScript that triggers the autocomplete of the user name.
    • Replace the logic to update a discussion's author (it currently uses method DiscussionModel::SetField(), which doesn't exist in 2.0).
    • Test, test and test some more.
    • Optional, but highly recommended: make sure that the logic for 2.0 and 2.1 live together, by implementing two separate classes to handle the operations (i.e. avoid scattering if(APPLICATION_VERSION > 2.0) everywhere in the code).
    • Test everything again.
    • Profit.
  • businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

Thanks for the LOLs, but my suggestions were real. :)
    I actually tested them quickly and, with the above process, the plugin would work perfectly on Vanilla 2.0 (sorry, no code available becauseI threw it together out of curiosity). I stopped at the DiscussionModel::SetField() because I just wanted to check how difficult it would be to introduce backward compatibility (always a must, in my view).

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@Lincoln here is an icon I think is appropriate , see if you like it :)

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Could we do just the brown paper bag part? Or if we need something below it, maybe they're wearing a suitcoat or something?

edited January 2014

here is one of each, by the way I keep getting this error when trying to upload

Received error (0) from authentication service ([0] Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to identity.api.rackspacecloud.com:443 )

• @vrijvlinder said:
    here is one of each, by the way I keep getting this error when trying to upload

Received error (0) from authentication service ([0] Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to identity.api.rackspacecloud.com:443 )

in addition to your error

I got errors 90% of the time trying to upload on this forum, ever sisnce they modifiied the cdn aspect of it about a year or so ago. Can't upload anything greate than 32kb without a failure (it doesn't pick up properly after a timeout.) I already posted on github - bit was closed and never fixed.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited January 2014

@peregrine There's a 30 second timeout which means it's limited by whatever you can upload on your connection speed in that amount of time. It's a cloud setting we decided on, not something to do with Vanilla itself.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@vrijvlinder Thanks! The suit guy is committed for the next release.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

@Lincoln said:
    peregrine There's a 30 second timeout which means it's limited by whatever you can upload on your connection speed in that amount of time. It's a cloud setting we decided on, not something to do with Vanilla itself.

thanks for the reply Lincoln. I know you guys decided upon it. could you increase the cloud setting to 60 seconds, or would it wreak havoc on your site. it would help me a bit.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Not yet, no.

edited January 2014

@Lincoln said: Thanks! The suit guy is committed for the next release.
    peregrine There's a 30 second timeout which means it's limited by whatever you can upload on your connection speed in that amount of time. It's a cloud setting we decided on, not something to do with Vanilla itself.

Yes I like the way it came out too :)

Seems like it cuts you off before 30 sec. I clicked choose file and chose file less than 15 sec. Then upload is what hung, got the error notice .

I refreshed the page emptied the cache tried again. Happened again 3 times until I was able to upload . My upload speed is 5.66 Mbps.

Unlike peregrine, this is the first time I see it happen.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@vrijvlinder I think you experienced an unrelated actual issue.