Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

(Poll) - According to Vanilla 2.1.x approach, which editor will be the best choice for a new forum?

onreaonrea New
edited January 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Which one the available editors is the best one for a new forum based on Vanilla 2.0.x?

I want to choose a Wysiwyg/Text-based editor that will be most compatible with the next version (2.1.x).

Buttonbar

Buttonbar+MarkDown

Buttonbar+BBcode

Buttonbar+xxx

CLEditor

TinyMC

VanillaMCE

TinyMCEFour

WysiHtml5

elRTE

Anything else???

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I would use BBCode (I hate the way you have to create new lines in MarkDown! That's ridiculously unintuitive) and it would be nice to have that WYSIWYG editor: http://www.wysibb.com

• x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2014

Buttonbar isn't Wysiwyg, however given it is simpler it is less complex likely to be conflicting, and also it is supported the core team.

I think probably it is a tossup between WysiHtml5/CLEditor.

However WysiHtml5 isn't officially supported by 2.0, it would be an option for 2.1.

2.1 come with a version of CLEditor

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2014

@R_J said:
    I would use BBCode (I hate the way you have to create new lines in MarkDown! That's ridiculously unintuitive) and it would be nice to have that WYSIWYG editor: http://www.wysibb.com

be that as it may BBCode is not standardized. html and markdown are.

grep is your friend.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited January 2014

Button Bar + Markdown are our staff favorites.

BBCode is generally loathed. We support it for legacy folks who lose their minds if they can't have it.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I also vote for Buttonbar + Markdown.

Sure, it is less popular than BBCode. It is a lot easier to write Markdown imo.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• In Dashboard Plugins, CLEditor says: "Deprecated in favor of Advanced Editor; this will be its final release." What is "Advanced Editor"???

• @michaelmross said:
    In Dashboard Plugins, CLEditor says: "Deprecated in favor of Advanced Editor; this will be its final release." What is "Advanced Editor"???

It is basically the successor to the ButtonBar, soon to be released. It is what is used on this forum.

grep is your friend.