Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Need to change Welcome message

We have need to change welcome message like 'Welcome to company discussion forum. To be able to participate in the discussions you need to sign up in the forum itself. You cannot use your regular company password - and you are adviced to use a different password here - for security reasons. '

I am new to vanilla forum, Can any one please help on how can i do that?

Comments

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin
  • Options

Thanks for your reply, but i can't find this text anywhere in the file not getting where this message is defined. I don't have access to files on server i have just downloaded everything from net and check but couldn't find the message anywhere :(

• Options

You could change the "Howdy, Stranger!" that way:
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/186211#Comment_186211
    Search the forum for "howdy" and you'll find some more discussions about that ;)

• Options

This is not that message :) . this is some other message We don't have to change this message :)

• Options

So you look at your forum and you see the message "Welcome to company discussion forum. To be able to participate in the discussions..."? That is not Vanilla standard, so you would have to describe some more to get help.

Do you see that in the same sidebar module where you see the buttons to sign in / apply for membership? Then I think somebody already has customized the Vanilla standard "Howdy, Stranger!"

Wait - you have said, that you do not have access to the files on the server? You are lost. You can not translate text in Vanilla itself. You have to edit the translation files on the server.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

You could add a message via the dashboard or via the pockets plugin.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Thanks for your reply :)
    R_J i have to edit the required file to be replaced on site but the problem is i don't have clue which file is it where this message is displayed, we have two messages for new customers one that "Howdy, Stranger!" and the other one is this which i have to edit.
    hgtonight will try :)

• Options

follow step
    Vanilla>applicaions>Vanilla>views> modules>geust.php finds this word

<?php echo T('Howdy, Stranger!'); ?>

"Howdy,Stranger!"edit and save preview

• Options

@pujakumari: No, don't do that. Look at that discussion to find out why: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/25869/have-you-modified-vanilla-core-files
    If you find the old Howdy Stranger in the source but it is not displayed, than most probably someone else has translated it already. You would have to look at all translation files you could find. I would look at the following places:

• /conf/locale.php
    • /locales/...?
    • /themes/YourCurrentTheme/locale/...?
    • /applications/vanilla/locale/en-CA/definitions.php
    • /applications/dashboard/locale/en-CA/definitions.php

Maybe someone has translated that in a plugin? Not very probable, but if all else fails, you would have to check that also and you would have to look for all definitions in /plugins/

@frindman: You should read about translating Vanilla: http://vanillaforums.org/docs/localization You could simply translate everything you find in the core files that is enclosed in the T() function. Simply create /conf/locale.php and add that lines:

<?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit();

$Definition['Howdy, Stranger!'] = 'Ahoi!';

If it gets not displayed, you'll have to delete /cache/locale_map.ini

• Options
    edited January 2014

an odd twist on this - looking at my bing webmaster tools acct I see that this is a popular search to find the forums

I assume these are from bots and how they are finding their way to the registration. Would be nice to be able to change this in the admin panel.