Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Anniversary Badges not being reliably awarded

meshugymeshugy Musician/Hacker ✭✭
edited January 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I've had Yaga running for about a week now and it's been a ton of fun! One thing I've noticed is that not all of my users are getting their Anniversary Badges awarded as they should. I know that inactive users won't have any badges awarded until they post. However, I have some users who have been posting all week and have not been awarded Anniversary Badges, despite having been members for almost ten years. Others have received them and I'm not sure if there's any rhyme or reason to who receives them and who doesn't.

Other badges like the comment badges, reactions, etc seem to work fine.

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Anniversary badges are only checked on sign in right now.

Can you ask them to sign out and then back in?

I will look into alternative hooks.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@hgtonight said:

Aaaaaand that's why I chose to let the Awards plugin process them on page load, rather than on specific hooks. ;)

edited January 2014

I wish there was a :p reaction @businessdad

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

and I chose to award them on signin and viewing of an individual's profile. in peregrine badges :)

I just trigger off of public function ProfileController_BeforeRenderAsset_Handler($Sender) {

and restrict the update to the content asset - so any viewing a profile for someone else or their own updates the senders badges. Not too much of a perfomance issue at all, unless people constantly click profiles.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited January 2014

@hgtonight FWIW, that is how we process ours too. Letting them process on every pageload does not scale at all. They can cope. You only notice when you add it to an existing forum, and even then it works itself out plenty fast.

• meshugymeshugy Musician/Hacker ✭✭

@hgtonight said:

OK, so everyone will eventually get them awarded. That explains why some users received Anniversary Badges days after they had received other badges.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Funny , we have the same issues with badges here... for example someone has gotten anniversary badges from year one through 7 in one day .

Some badges are simply not awarded. Like the Fresh Start badge one is supposed to get when being here on new years day... and some others too.

Like the marathon comments badge, I know coz I we should have gotten one by now lol .

So much for automation.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

Funny , we have the same issues with badges here..

you mean on vanilla forums. badge inflation - its never ending, but should it be, maybe not.

• and the 1k awesome, lol, and insightful badges.
    • and the noise badge for someone who creates alot of noise without adding value, sometimes - we are all guilty, but some are more guilty than others.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

@vrijvlinder I am pretty sure the badges you mentioned are just disabled. I don't know exactly how the hosted version of reactions works, but I recall seeing an image that shows specific badge types can be disabled.

I have been adding some new rules requested by community members. I will release them with 0.4 along with the 'instant' award for status based rules.

Search first

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@hgtonight said:
    vrijvlinder I am pretty sure the badges you mentioned are just disabled.

Yes. They just got instantiated here during a test and I never deleted them. They're not actual badges that run currently, they were concepts that got left on the cutting room floor for now.

@Lincoln said:
    They're not actual badges that run currently, they were concepts that got left on the cutting room floor for now.

Interesting. I actually implemented them in Yaga. I just assumed they weren't enabled here for some reason.

Search first