Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Error when members try to sign in: "Sorry, permission denied"

friganfrigan New
edited November 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi. After upgrading my Vanilla forum at forum.frigan.no from 1.2 to 2.0.13 none of the users with member status has been able to log in. My admin account can log in, though. I've upgraded to 2.0.14, but that didn't help.

The only error message given when trying to log in is "Sorry, permission denied".

This is kinda killing my community. I've tried really hard to search for a solution, but no luck.

Any help will be very much appreciated! Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Log into your Dashboard. Go to Roles & Permissions. Modify the Member role. Check the box that corresponds to Garden.Signin.Allow.

This was mentioned in the import instructions :)

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Oh, really? I didn't notice! :/ But that fixed it, so thank you very much!
  • edited January 2011
    I still got this problem: I created a new role. Checked the box of Garden.Signin.Allow.

Then I checked all the boxes of certain categories. But when user tries to login/signin, he won't see an error but it just wont login. You still see the link "sign in"

BTW, the user is only attached to the custom role.

Edit: actually, I can't login with that user at all! Not even attached to Administrator role

Edit2: Now, it seems like it's a browser error: I can login with Chrome but not with Firefox (it just go back to the same page...)
  • Is 'Garden.Signin.Allow' a part of Version 2.0.17.3? I don't see it. If new signups are not auto assigned a role then what is the point of having a no approval option?
    edited January 2011
    If new signups are not auto assigned a role then what is the point of having a no approval option?
    Go to /role/defaultroles. You can change it there.

Is 'Garden.Signin.Allow' a part of Version 2.0.17.3? I don't see it.
    If you click "Edit" on a role when you're on the Roles & Permissions page, the first big checkbox grid will have 'Signin' on the left, near the bottom, and 'Allow' is the second column across. Where they intersect is a checkbox corresponding to Garden.Signin.Allow.

• Hello I'm setting up my forum now, exported from phpBB3 and everything works fine except from users cant sign in.

"Sorry, no account could be found related to the email and password you entered"

I have enabled sign in, and all my users are in the "users" list. but none can sign in due to the error. Sorry, no account could be found related to the email and password you entered. I tried to reset password but I don't think it worked either..

Any help with this?
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @uniclue What version of phpBB3 did you migrate from?
  • the last i think.. But! Seems like my menmbers can log in with their old username instead of email.
  • lucluc ✭✭
    It says email, but both email and username are allowed.
  • I too am having a similar issue when people are trying to register for my site. It's telling the users they have a "permission problem" they don't have permissions to do that. On my Users and Permissions menu, i'm seeing that i have checked for everyone "garden.signin.allow." and i went into my default roles to make sure that guests had the ability to be considered "applicant" and "confirm email." but my new user is not getting any e-mail either. Any advice?

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@absolutecoaster Welcome to the community!

I suggest you break things down and solve your issues one at a time. I would start with your email issue. Try to register yourself and look at what happens. If email is not working, try using a different SMTP server.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Hello, and I successfully configured my outgoing mail server. Thank you so much for helping me isolate my issues! I created a test account with one of my personal e-mails, and sent a password reset e-mail. The e-mail was received.

I think I'm still having "permission problems" when people try to log in, or create a new account. However, I found that if you press "back" in your browser, it will take my users to the main page for vanilla. Once I actually started trying to browse through vanilla with these users, it would randomly pull up a permissions error again.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@absolutecoaster Did you also migrate from another forum software?

Are new users listed on your dashboard user page? (URL ending in /dashboard/user)

Did you set up default roles? (URL ending in /dashboard/role/defaultroles)

The biggest hiccup I had migrating from PHPBB3 to Vanilla was the role translation. I ended up dumping the roles from a fresh installation of Vanilla and manually translated the role IDs in the UserRole db table. Come to find out about the default roles page later.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Hello, I didn't Migrate from another Forum software, i'm starting from scratch with a new forum on vanilla.

Users are indeed listed on my dashboard page.

Default roles for new/approved users are set for "member"

Default roles for guest are set for "Guest, Applicant, and Confirm Email."

I would be willing to do dump the roles manually as you say, if that is the last option. I'm not very sure how I would "translate the role IDs :p "

• (Bump) anyone with any insight? I really want Vanilla for the compatibility with my current site, but not if it's broken.

• Well i did a re-install of the entire application. Luckily I didn't have any threads or users yet. But, it seemed to fix the problem. I'm guessing the install missed a few components or something???

• I upgraded from 2.1.10 to 2.2 and I get the same error, with our Admins locked out too. New signups are fine though.

Is there a way I can fix this by accessing the DB (or the config.php file)?

I asked a related question on StackOverflow, and that post has more info.