Need suggestions to develop new social forums!
I had an idea from long time , about building a social knowledge sharing platform and was searching and reviewing a number of already built and community driven solutions. The most appealing was Vanilla Forums , as it is open Source and Free as well as , is backed by a large no. of supportive developers. I would be currently working on Free/OpenSource version.
My concerns are:
- Is Vanilla secure? I mean as it is fairly new as compared to other forum solutions , and that too have reported being hacked by numerous persons.
- How many users does it can accomodate? Will it break if there are a lot of users accessing the website simultaneously? Is there a upper limit?
- Which version should i start working on , as i saw a 2.0.x and 2.1b2 and a few more others. Also i need to have a badges and gamification plugin , so i think it is only possible in 2.1+ versions(YAGA plugin). But they are in beta right now! Am really confused on this one
- What languages(web) do we need to know , to develop it further? We already have some members knowing HTML5+CSS3+JS+PHP5.x+MySQL. Do we need anything else to create our own UI for website and some plugins like Points system or Rank system?
- Some plugins that we need are already present , like the Q/A plugin in the community section addons. Will it be supported in next versions of Vanilla that are currently in beta or alpha?
- What should be requirements for my hosting server?
Thanks a lot