Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

New Opensource forum - would you want to switch?*

2»

Comments

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭
    edited April 2014

Actually there is another discussion with more users asking for it. Regardless, I am evaluating Vanilla just like the other guy is and have been receiving very good community support and made a few donations in gratitude, so I'm obviously not anti-Vanilla. That said, the lack of that email-to-post feature in an easy to manage way for self hosted solution is not a positive for us.

But I think that there is a bigger picture here - the reality is that the current Vanilla community reflects the feature set they must have - otherwise they would have moved elsewhere. So looking at the current community for what is needed will more likely yield a "would like to have" rather than "must have" items. The people who evaluate Vanilla and don't find a highly needed feature and thus go elsewhere -- these are the people you should try to attract if you want to grow the community.

In the absence of mind reading the visitors who check out Vanilla and go elsewhere or surveying those who left, your only chance is to come with more features and top the competition (which means cover their functionality and then some). Otherwise, sooner or later this community will stagnate and eventually shrink. That said, I am still hopeful for this platform because of few great guys/gals who jump in to fill the voids.

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

@Lincoln said:
    Tudor rbrahmson FWIW, we now have a best-of-breed text editor with drag and drop file uploads that will be released with or alongside 2.1.

Unfortunately we are on 2.0 so this is a disappointment. Perhaps you could make it 2.0 compatible?

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@rbrahmson The expectation when 2.1 is released, 2.1 will be the stable version. So you will be urged to upgrade from 2.0 at that time.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

Hopefully a smooth migration path with all plugins supported. Any forecast for 2.1?

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

You may have inferred (correctly) from some of my feedback that we have some strict IT policies in place. The link you provided did not say (1) whether all plugins (except those two deprecated ones) will be supported, (2) whether the transition will be smooth (automated) for 2.0 users, and lastly when is this all expected. I'd add another question I didn't ask before -- until when 2.0 will be supported?

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

2.0 will continue in security-patch mode (as it basically is now) for a while after 2.1 is released, probably a year, unless we find an issue we cannot patch on that architecture (unlikely, but who knows).

I don't know what you mean by smooth/automated. Logins will continue to work the same, if that's what you mean.

The plugins distributed in with core will continue to work. Any plugins you downloaded yourself will need to be tested by you.

Smooth means automated upgrade (in terms of install and then being able to proceed in a mode transparent to the users).

But is seems like it won't be so smooth because we did plan to use some plugins and we as I understand your feedback it seems that we face the risk of the plugins not being upgraded or being upgraded incorrectly. "Any plugins you downloaded yourself will need to be tested by you." Didn't realize that QA is on us, not on the authors...

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

That's true of any open source community. You don't upgrade WordPress to the new version without testing your plugins either, and this is a lot bigger of an upgrade than most WP point releases.

Yes, some QA whenever we install something new. installs a new Desktop OS they do some testing, but the bulk is done by Microsoft. I got the impression (am I wrong) that there is no guarantee that plugins will be upgraded or if they did their authors QA them...
    Is there an approval process by which plugins are marked as "tested for 2.1" ?

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

No, the addon author would need to say that in the addon description. I'll make an announcement about it soon. It's no secret our addons directory is in need of some rethinking.

May I suggest to have a tag "Tested Under 2.1" and have the author promise that he will do so. Allow users to post issues against 2.1 compatibility and if the moderators judge these issues to be real and numerous (leave it to the moderator's judgement) then the tag will be removed.

As for where to post these issues -- there is already a Questions section under each plugin. With the lack of an "Issues" section people post problems in that section. Perhaps you can add an "Issues" section and exactly like the "answered" on questions, an issue can be "Closed".

Last but not least on the plugin rethinking -- I've seen many cases where users complain that some plugins don't work with others. Don't know why that is, but if this is a plugin author's issue rather than an inherent Vanilla issue, I'd also consider a "Works with other plugins" tag (needs a better shorter name). If people would stay away from such plugins the authors would have an incentive to play nice with others...

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I've seen many cases where users complain that some plugins don't work with others.

There can be several reasons for this, the biggest one in my opinion is jquery library versions sometimes clash. this may cause something else to disable.

Another reason is using the same function twice. If a plugin uses an exact function as another then it will generate a fatal error and not enable.

We can only do so much . We need people to test our stuff under a variety of situations. Some of us don't have live forums with users to test. So it is important for people to help us by giving feedback not just say it does not work.

Remember these are time donations from others. Some may collect a little bit of cash here and there but it is not even close to what they deserve for the work, so appreciation and collaboration go a long way.

With the lack of an "Issues" section people post problems in that section.

I agree that it is a bit strange how that works. Maybe adding some text explaining to "Ask a question for this plugin click here..."

• People on Discourse are discussing on Vanilla; I thought you might want to take a look: https://meta.discourse.org/t/how-does-discourse-compare-and-contrast-with-vanilla-forums/1701

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

It appears most people there are misinformed .... Some are using vanilla and still spread misinformation.. sad but the only way for people to learn which is best for them is by trying it.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

The misconceptions & misinformation in that discussion are not necessarily the fault of their authors but rather a function of our lackluster efforts to tell our own narrative effectively. We're working on correcting this, but it's going to take some time.

• Overall I thought the commentary was quite positive. The main negative comments were about the sketchiness of some features.

grep is your friend.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Yeah, I didn't mean to make it sound like it was all bad; I'm just naturally touchy about it. :D