HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Net Neutrality: Comment with the FCC (US)

LincLinc Detroit Admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbOEoRrHyU

John Oliver knocks it out of the park on "net neutrality". I've filed a comment with the FCC and suggest our US members here do the same.

Comments

• Preventing Cable Company F***ery

I hope people also petition to get rid of the ridiculous EU Cookie Legislation, which completely misses the main privacy issues on the net, and is no deterrent to those really keen on snooping on their visitors.

As well as those that propose that basic parenting should be subcontracted by law to Internet Service Providers.

grep is your friend.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@x00 said:
    As well as those that propose that basic parenting should be subcontracted by law to Internet Service Providers.

This really pisses me off on a personal level.

Comment submitted. I know your senators and reps don't have a direct say in FCC regs, but contact them about this anyway.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited June 2014

In the UK we have competition in the sense that, it is too small to have area where only one company operates, except for very small or isolated areas.

However people think that companies like PlusNet are still independent, when actually it is owned by BT for years. It basically a fake competition they do. Like Unilever and all the brand of detergents, the pretend to better then each other.

yes but IMO if parents don't understand how the Internet works, either:

1. don't allow you kids on the net
    2. learn and supervise them

It is not the job of the state or ISP, to to the impossible job of remotely parenting.

grep is your friend.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

@linc said:

John Oliver knocks it out of the park on "net neutrality". I've filed a comment with the FCC and suggest our US members here do the same.

Absolutely, Please contact the FCC and file a comment. Otherwise, this may be one more nail in the coffin for U.S. internet.

One of The two companies mentioned in the video may be the only providers of highspeed internet in the U.S.

They have a stranglehold on the internet in the U.S. thus the U.S. consumers pay some of the highest prices for internet in the world with average internet speed being slower than many parts of the world, combined with poor customer service, and selective throttling.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2014/02/06/272480919/when-it-comes-to-high-speed-internet-u-s-falling-way-behind

"we've come into an era where these markets have consolidated and for most Americans, their only choice for high-speed, high-capacity Internet connection is their local cable monopoly."

Crawford says that American Internet service is falling behind other nations because cable companies have such dominance in many markets, and that will undermine our ability to compete in a global economy. She warns: "Unless somebody in the system has industrial policy in mind, a long-term picture of where the United States needs to be and has the political power to act on it, we'll be a Third World country when it comes to communications."

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.