Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

500 Error due to maximum execution time exceeded*

FengolFengol New
edited July 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I've installed a clean version of WAMP 2.5 and updated C:\wamp\bin\apache\apache2.4.9\conf\httpd.conf to Listen on port 8060. I tested that I connect to MySQL via phpMyAdmin.

I downloaded and extracted Vanilla 2.1 to C:\wamp\www\vanilla

When I try to access the site http://localhost:8060/vanilla/ I get an HTTP 500 error

I updated .htaccess in the vanilla folder, uncommenting the RewriteBase and setting the directory to /vanilla; but the same error occurs.

Please can someone help?

Comments

• I forgot to mention that I did update Apache config in C:\wamp\bin\apache\apache2.4.9\conf and uncommented the line LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so so that the .htaccess "should" work

• Sorry to keep updating but I've also enabled LoadModule headers_module modules/mod_headers.so in the Apache config, and deleted all the .ini files in the Vanilla cache folder C:\wamp\www\vanilla\cache

I saw the folder path uses mixed slashes in the .ini file (gdn = "C:\wamp\www\vanilla/library/core/class.gdn.php") could maybe be causing the problem?

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Fengol‌

Hopefully someone will come up with an answer.

Can I ask if there is a reason you didn't go with XAMPP?

I use that on my PC for my Vanilla etc. testing, and it works right out of the box.

• FengolFengol New
    edited July 2014

@whu606, I haven't heard of XAMPP. When I was Googling for a service stack solutions I found LAMP which led me to WAMP. I'll give XAMPP a try as well.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

This is slightly off topic.

@whu606 said:

Can I ask if there is a reason you didn't go with XAMPP?

I use that on my PC for my Vanilla etc. testing, and it works right out of the box.

I use WAMP over XAMPP for a few reasons (although I have and still use XAMPP sometimes).

1. Lightweight
    2. Easier switching between versions of Apache, PHP, and MySQL
    3. Great management tool for common actions with the server in the notification area of the taskbar

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

@hgtonight‌

I'm sure that WAMP has benefits for you Jedi Code Masters ;)

My personal choice of XAMPP was based on 'click and install', since I only needed a basic web server and mySQL, and had lost a couple of days of my life trying to follow the instructions to set up mySQL separately.

• @Fengol said:
    When I try to access the site http://localhost:8060/vanilla/ I get an HTTP 500 error

Back to the error ... whenever Apache gives error 500, take a look in the Apache error logs. There you'll find the details of the error

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

also look in .htaccess file - sometimes if you have a command that is not allowed - some servers will respond with a 500.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I've removed WAMP and installed XAMPP and I really like the control panel. I'm busy installing Vanilla and I will let you know how I proceed.

Thank you so far for all your help.

• Yey! I got the install page but I'm still getting a 500 error after that.

I'm using XAMPP and I've copied the Vanilla 2.1 files to C:\xampp\htdocs\mgsa\vanilla and updated .htaccess to include RewriteBase /mgsa/vanilla

I was still getting a 500 error after completing the install page but I checked the PHP error logs and saw the install queries were exceeding the maximum execution time of 30 seconds. I updated php.ini and set max_execution_time=0 and re-ran the install and it worked correctly.

Thank you so much for your assistance.

Thank you for coming back and adding information that will help others in the future.