HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Latest premium theme for Vanilla forums: Nexus!

jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in General Banter

It's been a while since I've released a new premium theme for Vanilla forums, but seeing as I'm the only one who puts anything up on Themeforest.net for Vanilla (there have been a few others, but eventually they all mysteriously disappear), I figured I owed the community another theme. I've had some free time lately and after updating Ozone for Vanilla 2.1, and running out of ideas for Silicon 2.1, I decided to take a break and throw together a brand new theme (now that it's done, I'm back to working on Silicon, so don't worry ;) ). This theme I've called Nexus:

Nexus is a color-intense responsive theme featuring beautiful CSS animations and an inspiring flat design. It comes in five different colors (will likely next add white and grey versions) and it's got some really gorgeous design elements. Check it out, I think you'll like it.

PURCHASE AT THEMEFOREST.NET

See the live preview here: http://secondwindprojects.com/nexus/

Enjoy!

Comments

• r0obertr0obert
    edited July 2014

@jspautsch great theme, bought it!

One thing though, quotes not showing author. eg. "said blah blah blah" instead of "Author said blah blah blah". I tried using css but I can't find the issue. The same version of Quotes is working w/o problems on another theme. Link is showing href="/forum/profile/" instead of "/profile/username" v1.6.1

• jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭

@r0obert said:
    jspautsch great theme, bought it!

One thing though, quotes not showing author. eg. "said blah blah blah" instead of "Author said blah blah blah". I tried using css but I can't find the issue. The same version of Quotes is working w/o problems on another theme. Link is showing href="/forum/profile/" instead of "/profile/username" v1.6.1

Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out.

• @jspautsch cool! Let me know if you manage to fix that.

@r0obert said:
    jspautsch cool! Let me know if you manage to fix that.

So I don't think this is a theme issue (tested on the live preview), so it has to be some kind of issue with how your forum is configured. What version of the Quotes plugin are you using?

• @jspautsch 1.6.1 - works with Bootstrap latest theme.

@r0obert said:
    jspautsch 1.6.1 - works with Bootstrap latest theme.

And you're using the latest release of Vanilla 2.1? Do you have a link to your forum that I could look at?

• r0obertr0obert
    edited July 2014

@jspautsch said:
    And you're using the latest release of Vanilla 2.1? Do you have a link to your forum that I could look at?

Nevermind, I have disabled/deleted/re-installed Quotes latest version and it works now. Thanks!

Any ETA on the black/white variants of Nexus?

Looking great btw, incredible job!

I highly recommend this theme to everyone - easy to configure/adapt to your own needs, well documented and surely one of the best looking themes I've ever come across!

• AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited July 2014

This theme is very nice, but you are charging $750 for a product in which end users are being charged money. For a small forum that charges someone a subscription fee of $1 a year to cover hosting costs or sells a premium area for a select few, there is no way that an site owner is going to pay $750 for your theme. Especially for projects just taking off on a small budget, this is not going to happend. Bottom line: you need to charge less for the Extended License so that more people can use it.

• it is green.

grep is your friend.

• @Anonymoose said:
    This theme is very nice, but you are charging $750 for a product in which end users are being charged money. For a small forum that charges someone a subscription fee of $1 a year to cover hosting costs or sells a premium area for a select few, there is no way that an site owner is going to pay $750 for your theme. Especially for projects just taking off on a small budget, this is not going to happend. Bottom line: you need to charge less for the Extended License so that more people can use it.

I would have though this is discretionary. If you can prove you are not for profit, I'm sure jspautsch would be reasonable.

But in all honestly a commercial site will get a custom development most likely.

grep is your friend.

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@Anonymoose said:
    Especially for projects just taking off on a small budget, this is not going to happend. Bottom line: you need to charge less for the Extended License so that more people can use it.

AFAIK, the extended licences applies to products that one intends to sell. That is, if you package the theme with a product and sell the product, then the extended licence is required. If you charge users for accessing a forum, the regular licence is sufficient.

Also, the "best" part is that neither price is not decided by the author, but by the selling platform. Also, the selling platform takes a commission that varies from 30% to 66%, depending on the type of account, which means that, in most cases, jspautsch will get no more than $10 (before tax) for each sale.

To be clearer, that's how ThemeForest works:

• Author is responsible for development, maintenance and support of the products he wishes to sell through the platform.
    • ThemeForest team decides if the product is worth selling on their site, the sale price, and takes between 30% and 66% commission upfront. What's left is held in their accounts until author reaches a minimum payout.

This is just to point out that it's not jspautsch trying to be "greedy", pricing is outside his control.

@Anonymoose said:

Unfortunately, the prices are set by ThemeForest and I have literally zero control over them.

@x00 said:
    But in all honestly a commercial site will get a custom development most likely.

Pretty much. Maybe for the high-end wordpress themes that go for $50 even for personal use, but not a $15 Vanilla theme (especially when the hosted solution exists).

@r0obert said:
    I highly recommend this theme to everyone - easy to configure/adapt to your own needs, well documented and surely one of the best looking themes I've ever come across!

Aw thanks! :) Glad you resolved your issues! No definite ETA on the black/white themes, but it won't be long.

@businessdad said:
    AFAIK, the extended licences applies to products that one intends to sell. That is, if you package the theme with a product and sell the product, then the extended licence is required. If you charge users for accessing a forum, the regular licence is sufficient.

I wish it were so, and even had to double-check the ThemeForest FAQ, but alas:

If the end users need to pay to see the end product, you need an extended license . . . Example: A website that requires money before you can access the content.

But yes, you are right that I don't set the prices myself.

• Can't really see the appeal of a site where you don't set you own license, and price. Or at least have options.

I can understand them wanting to screen the themes, and to an extent price grade.

grep is your friend.

• Btw they can take commission a service charge which is nothing to do with the license, but the fact you are using their platform to sell your theme.

grep is your friend.

@jspautsch said:
    I wish it were so, and even had to double-check the ThemeForest FAQ, but alas:
    If the end users need to pay to see the end product, you need an extended license . . . Example: A > > website that requires money before you can access the content.
    But yes, you are right that I don't set the prices myself.

Now, that's greedy (from their side). -_-

@x00 said:
    Can't really see the appeal of a site where you don't set you own license, and price. Or at least have options.

I could not agree more. And, yet, their network is one of the most popular nowadays, with authors selling for a profit of a couple of quid, with support, updates and who knows what else included (and paid in arrears).

• AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited July 2014

@jspautsch any chance you could offer the theme for sale directly?

edited July 2014

@Anonymoose said:
    jspautsch any chance you could offer the theme for sale directly or say through http://kagi.com/?

If I could get the same amount of exposure on another site, sure. But ThemeForest has a pretty large userbase entirely dedicated to themes, and if I sell it elsewhere I have to list myself as "non-exclusive" on ThemeForest, which cuts my commission in half (and then I also need to sell it for less than what ThemeForest prices it at, or not sell it on TF at all, just to avoid people buying it at a low commission). Soo I'm kind of stuck, unless someone knows something I don't.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

it probably depends on his contract.

whether he signed up as exclusive or non-exclusive....

"As an exclusive author, any items you sell on Envato's marketplaces cannot be sold elsewhere. "

" as a non-exclusive author You can sell the items you sell with us in other places too."

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.