Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Try Vanilla Forums Cloud product

Latest premium theme for Vanilla forums: Nexus!

jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in General Banter

It's been a while since I've released a new premium theme for Vanilla forums, but seeing as I'm the only one who puts anything up on Themeforest.net for Vanilla (there have been a few others, but eventually they all mysteriously disappear), I figured I owed the community another theme. I've had some free time lately and after updating Ozone for Vanilla 2.1, and running out of ideas for Silicon 2.1, I decided to take a break and throw together a brand new theme (now that it's done, I'm back to working on Silicon, so don't worry ;) ). This theme I've called Nexus:

Nexus is a color-intense responsive theme featuring beautiful CSS animations and an inspiring flat design. It comes in five different colors (will likely next add white and grey versions) and it's got some really gorgeous design elements. Check it out, I think you'll like it.

PURCHASE AT THEMEFOREST.NET

See the live preview here: http://secondwindprojects.com/nexus/

Enjoy!

peregrineUnderDogr0oberthgtonightvrijvlinderbusinessdaddportis
«13

Comments

  • r0obertr0obert
    edited July 2014

    @jspautsch great theme, bought it!

    One thing though, quotes not showing author. eg. "said blah blah blah" instead of "Author said blah blah blah". I tried using css but I can't find the issue. The same version of Quotes is working w/o problems on another theme. Link is showing href="/forum/profile/" instead of "/profile/username" v1.6.1

  • jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭

    @r0obert said:
    jspautsch great theme, bought it!

    One thing though, quotes not showing author. eg. "said blah blah blah" instead of "Author said blah blah blah". I tried using css but I can't find the issue. The same version of Quotes is working w/o problems on another theme. Link is showing href="/forum/profile/" instead of "/profile/username" v1.6.1

    Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out.

    UnderDogr0obert
  • @jspautsch cool! Let me know if you manage to fix that.

  • jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭

    @r0obert said:
    jspautsch cool! Let me know if you manage to fix that.

    So I don't think this is a theme issue (tested on the live preview), so it has to be some kind of issue with how your forum is configured. What version of the Quotes plugin are you using?

    UnderDogr0obert
  • @jspautsch 1.6.1 - works with Bootstrap latest theme.

  • jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭

    @r0obert said:
    jspautsch 1.6.1 - works with Bootstrap latest theme.

    And you're using the latest release of Vanilla 2.1? Do you have a link to your forum that I could look at?

    UnderDog
  • r0obertr0obert
    edited July 2014

    @jspautsch said:
    And you're using the latest release of Vanilla 2.1? Do you have a link to your forum that I could look at?

    Nevermind, I have disabled/deleted/re-installed Quotes latest version and it works now. Thanks!

    Any ETA on the black/white variants of Nexus?

    Looking great btw, incredible job!

    I highly recommend this theme to everyone - easy to configure/adapt to your own needs, well documented and surely one of the best looking themes I've ever come across!

  • AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited July 2014

    This theme is very nice, but you are charging $750 for a product in which end users are being charged money. For a small forum that charges someone a subscription fee of $1 a year to cover hosting costs or sells a premium area for a select few, there is no way that an site owner is going to pay $750 for your theme. Especially for projects just taking off on a small budget, this is not going to happend. Bottom line: you need to charge less for the Extended License so that more people can use it.

  • it is green.

    grep is your friend.

    UnderDog
  • @Anonymoose said:
    This theme is very nice, but you are charging $750 for a product in which end users are being charged money. For a small forum that charges someone a subscription fee of $1 a year to cover hosting costs or sells a premium area for a select few, there is no way that an site owner is going to pay $750 for your theme. Especially for projects just taking off on a small budget, this is not going to happend. Bottom line: you need to charge less for the Extended License so that more people can use it.

    I would have though this is discretionary. If you can prove you are not for profit, I'm sure jspautsch would be reasonable.

    But in all honestly a commercial site will get a custom development most likely.

    grep is your friend.

  • businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

    @Anonymoose said:
    Especially for projects just taking off on a small budget, this is not going to happend. Bottom line: you need to charge less for the Extended License so that more people can use it.

    AFAIK, the extended licences applies to products that one intends to sell. That is, if you package the theme with a product and sell the product, then the extended licence is required. If you charge users for accessing a forum, the regular licence is sufficient.

    Also, the "best" part is that neither price is not decided by the author, but by the selling platform. Also, the selling platform takes a commission that varies from 30% to 66%, depending on the type of account, which means that, in most cases, jspautsch will get no more than $10 (before tax) for each sale.

    To be clearer, that's how ThemeForest works:

    • Author is responsible for development, maintenance and support of the products he wishes to sell through the platform.
    • ThemeForest team decides if the product is worth selling on their site, the sale price, and takes between 30% and 66% commission upfront. What's left is held in their accounts until author reaches a minimum payout.

    This is just to point out that it's not jspautsch trying to be "greedy", pricing is outside his control.

    R_Jhgtonightr0obertUnderDog
  • jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭

    @Anonymoose said:
    This theme is very nice, but you are charging $750 for a product in which end users are being charged money. For a small forum that charges someone a subscription fee of $1 a year to cover hosting costs or sells a premium area for a select few, there is no way that an site owner is going to pay $750 for your theme. Especially for projects just taking off on a small budget, this is not going to happend. Bottom line: you need to charge less for the Extended License so that more people can use it.

    Unfortunately, the prices are set by ThemeForest and I have literally zero control over them.

    @x00 said:
    But in all honestly a commercial site will get a custom development most likely.

    Pretty much. Maybe for the high-end wordpress themes that go for $50 even for personal use, but not a $15 Vanilla theme (especially when the hosted solution exists).

    @r0obert said:
    I highly recommend this theme to everyone - easy to configure/adapt to your own needs, well documented and surely one of the best looking themes I've ever come across!

    Aw thanks! :) Glad you resolved your issues! No definite ETA on the black/white themes, but it won't be long.

    UnderDog
  • jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭

    @businessdad said:
    AFAIK, the extended licences applies to products that one intends to sell. That is, if you package the theme with a product and sell the product, then the extended licence is required. If you charge users for accessing a forum, the regular licence is sufficient.

    I wish it were so, and even had to double-check the ThemeForest FAQ, but alas:

    If the end users need to pay to see the end product, you need an extended license . . . Example: A website that requires money before you can access the content.

    But yes, you are right that I don't set the prices myself.

    R_JUnderDog
  • Can't really see the appeal of a site where you don't set you own license, and price. Or at least have options.

    I can understand them wanting to screen the themes, and to an extent price grade.

    grep is your friend.

    UnderDog
  • Btw they can take commission a service charge which is nothing to do with the license, but the fact you are using their platform to sell your theme.

    grep is your friend.

  • businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

    @jspautsch said:
    I wish it were so, and even had to double-check the ThemeForest FAQ, but alas:
    If the end users need to pay to see the end product, you need an extended license . . . Example: A > > website that requires money before you can access the content.
    But yes, you are right that I don't set the prices myself.

    Now, that's greedy (from their side). -_-

    UnderDog
  • businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

    @x00 said:
    Can't really see the appeal of a site where you don't set you own license, and price. Or at least have options.

    I could not agree more. And, yet, their network is one of the most popular nowadays, with authors selling for a profit of a couple of quid, with support, updates and who knows what else included (and paid in arrears).

  • AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited July 2014

    @jspautsch any chance you could offer the theme for sale directly?

  • jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

    @Anonymoose said:
    jspautsch any chance you could offer the theme for sale directly or say through http://kagi.com/?

    If I could get the same amount of exposure on another site, sure. But ThemeForest has a pretty large userbase entirely dedicated to themes, and if I sell it elsewhere I have to list myself as "non-exclusive" on ThemeForest, which cuts my commission in half (and then I also need to sell it for less than what ThemeForest prices it at, or not sell it on TF at all, just to avoid people buying it at a low commission). Soo I'm kind of stuck, unless someone knows something I don't.

  • peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

    it probably depends on his contract.

    whether he signed up as exclusive or non-exclusive....

    "As an exclusive author, any items you sell on Envato's marketplaces cannot be sold elsewhere. "

    " as a non-exclusive author You can sell the items you sell with us in other places too."

    I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

  • AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited July 2014

    Then sell a grey/white/enhanced/pro version directly.

    ThemeForest may have a large userbase dedicated to themes, but as you noticed, that userbase is made up of non-vanilla users, so who cares about them.

    Vanilla users are on this forum mostly, and don't care if you sell on ThemeForest or somewhere else, we are ready to buy from you, but not on ThemeForest's terms.

  • AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited July 2014

    You can’t Sell the End Product, except to one client. (If you or your client want to Sell the End Product, you will need the Extended License.)

    End Product is a customised implementation of the Item

    This license is really weird. Reading it, it looks like no lawyer ever read this over. People using themes to theme their websites are not usually selling what this license terms the end product, ie. the website. They sometimes do sell access to portions of the website, or put advertising on their site to earn money, but never is the actual website for sale.

    In any case, the "sale" of the license has taken place already. I don't see anything barring a renegotiaion of the license itself, even if you are prohibited from selling it elsewhere.

    This license can be terminated if you breach it. If that happens, you must stop making copies of or distributing the End Product until you remove the Item from it.

    So if someone breaches the license, they can still use your template, just that they can't make copies of it or distribute the website until it template it removed from the website. Funny.

  • peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

    seems pretty clear to me. jspautsch has a contract with themeforest which is his contract.

    which has nothing to do with your contract as a purchaser. meaning you can only transfer your license to one person (a sale to someone else. you no longer have the license), unless you bought the extended license which means you can sell the end-product.

    it actually protects jspautsch from people who want to sell his product and make money off his sweat., he actually does got a %age of extended license sales as I read into it.

    I applaud jspautsch for selling a nice product. At least he gets some reimbursement for sweat. If he depended on donations, he might get lots of promises, but probably unfulfilled ones. or ones like I'll send you a $10 donation, after I make my first 100 million dollars.

    I find it amusing, @anonymoose first you have an issue with lack of premium themes, than you have a problem with the price and the place that the user has decided to sell their product. What is an appropriate price @anonymoose for plugins and themes, and where should they sell it? so future developers will gain from you expertise in this matter.

    I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

    jspautsch
  • AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited July 2014

    Except the website owner does not "sell" the end product, even if he allows people to access a website for a fee, that is not a "sale" of the product.

  • jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭

    @Anonymoose said:
    Except the website owner does not "sell" the end product, even if he allows people to access a website for a fee, that is not a "sale" of the product.

    Actually, it does. ThemeForest defines the end product as what you build with the item you buy. So the theme is the item, and with the item you build your forum. Your forum is now the end product.

    The item is what you purchase from the Envato marketplaces. The end product is what you build with that item. Example: The item is a business card template; the end product is the finalized business card. The item is a button graphic; the end product is an app using the button graphic in the app's interface.

    With that definition in mind, the licensing now makes sense, because if user need to pay to access your forum, they're paying to get the end product. The end product IS your forum, so any content hidden on your forum that requires payment means you need an extended license.

    If the end users need to pay to see the end product, you need an extended license. There can be more than one end user as long as there is only one end product. Example: A website that requires money before you can access the content

    You can sell other products FROM your forum, or place advertisements, but you can't restrict access to the forum itself (the end product).

    peregrine
  • peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

    .

    I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

  • jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

    @Anonymoose said:
    Vanilla users are on this forum mostly, and don't care if you sell on ThemeForest or somewhere else, we are ready to buy from you, but not on ThemeForest's terms.

    They are, but I only get traffic from this forum when I first announce the theme. After that initial promotion (which never yields very many sales anyway), I depend on month-to-month sales (which even now are pretty regular even though most of my themes have been out for years).

    With my first kid on the way in September (yay!) and our desire for her to have one stay-at-home parent, even that little bit of extra income per month helps us out loads over the long run.

    peregrine
  • AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited July 2014

    A good product ruined by the business model/license chosen. Removing your template and moving on. Good luck.

    peregrine
  • @Anonymoose said:
    A good product ruined by the business model/license chosen. Removing your template and moving on. Good luck.

    wanna buy a plugin @Anonymoose. I have 30+ for sale for commercial use :(

    I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

  • AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited July 2014

    @peregrine said:
    wanna buy a plugin

    Link please.

«13
Sign In or Register to comment.