HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

What motivates you to contribute?

To the developers who help close bugs and develop their own addons: What brought you to Vanilla, and what motivates your open source contributions?

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

About 4 other forum software brought me to Vanilla after concluding they sucked....

I was immediately drawn to the code and even though I understood very little of it at the the time, I was able to learn as I went along and suddenly one day it started to make sense more and more allowing for my own creating of themes and add ons .

My motivation to contribute, I just want to share something that can be useful to someone as it is for me. I like the idea that someone else can modify it and make it better or simply make it work for them.

I am now an addict and will be seeking professional help at the VAA (Vanilla addicts anonymous)....

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I came to Vanilla because my existing online community was looking for a better forum solution than phpBB. The old dev mentioned really liking Vanilla, so we booted that up. The design was... refreshing.

Then I needed to make some new pages. I started tinkering with some basic plugins to add these features. Whenever I encountered an issue, I searched these forums and asked questions. Good vibes happened.

Motivations

• Core Code - bugs are annoying for everyone. If I can fix it, might as well share the fix with everyone else.
    • Forum Support - I like learning. Most issues give me a specific area to learn about. I get to find out why something unexpected is happening then finding a way to prevent the corner case from mucking up the system.
    • Addons - Most of my addons are driven by my direct needs. Others are driven by my community's needs.
    • General - Helping people strokes my ego. I really like coding and Vanilla is fun to work with.

Basically, this is a really rewarding environment for me since I get to learn and help other people that are learning too.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

I first went the to vanilla 1 site, because I was part of another community, where the owner is change averse, as is using really old software. I didn't have influence over that, but at the time I really liked the concept of Vanilla 1 even though it wasn't as well designed as Vanilla 2.

There was a video/intro on the splash page, and I think that was a major draw becuase it explained the concept quickly. It was also that you knew who the team was, basically Mark.

Since then I have used 2 with clients becuase it it very adaptable to their needs, and very much brand-able.

I like helping were I can, especially it is a reasonable question, as I either have the answer or I think I can navigate the core bit easier than a newcomer. Just basically enjoy it.

Addon have been a mixture of paid for/sponsor and the occasional gift. I just enjoy it, it is generally a nice framework to develop on.

Reporting issues, is about helping my interest as well as everyone else.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2014

What brought you to Vanilla?

Some friends started a forum They told me it was vanilla. They had things they wanted changed and so did I. So I came to this forum and searched for answers and looked at the documentation. A few people answered questions, many questions remained unresolved, when I joined.

What motivates my OS contributions?

Since I don't have a day job, I figured I'd try to learn Vanilla and try to answer questions as well. I created a forum on my local server, and tried to answer questions posed, at least to myself. If I had a solution i posted it.

That was phase 1 - learning vanilla and trying to help others.

Phase 2 - was creating plugins for the community, just because I wanted to and as a learning experience.

Phase 3 - I still like to help the community, but my main hope is to receive donations by creating plugins that are freely available that may take a few days to weeks to develop. In hopes that people see the value of freely available plugins and understand that it might be 120 hours of work to create, and in turn they might decide to send a donation, if they found the plugin helpful. Maybe they could skip buying a coffee or a beer for a few days and instead use that money to send a donation. A few people have, not as many people as I had hoped.

So, in essence an open source community helps the community, but sometimes the community might consider paying back.

And that is my reason for continuing - hopes of getting donations to support my meager income.

but that may come to a close, when my internet bill comes up and donations do not pay for the bill and enable me to continue without going into the red. So thats why I squeak for donations :)

Personally, I think its better for community if a 100 people send $10 out of kindness, then somebody with deep pockets paying a $1000 for the same thing but not open-sourced.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Thanks for all that you folks do. I hope you can appreciate the amount of joy you bring to many, many people.

Thumbs Up Fellows!

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

What brought me here?

I had a lot of fun in a community based on phpBB and ever since they went commercial (six years ago or something like that) I was thinking of copying that: build a forum centric community (I'll never do that but I will always think about it). I read a lot of news feeds and so I've came across a lot CMS/CMF/Forum/Social Network script. I'm no software developer so whenever I've installed some script, I've taken a look at how hard it would be to extend it myself. I was always looking for some satisfying solution and was never glad with what I've found.

One and half a year ago I've came across Vanilla at opensourcecms.com - don't know why I haven't seen it earlier...

I was excited to find a forum that is based on a framework which has solely been built to be the foundation for a forum. That made perfectly sense to me. And indeed, when I looked at the source of Vanilla, I could read and - even more important - understand it! That was great between understanding and "speaking" there is only a small step. At least a manageable step ;)

Why contributing?

Don't know... You are giving us access to a great product under a certain condition (license) and I just follow that example. If it would be common to sell plugins for $5, I guess I would also sell them...
    My motivation is, that I like finding solutions and it makes me boast of proud that I could have helped making your great product even better.

• Options
    chanhchanh OngETC.com - CMS Researcher ✭✭

To me, motivation of open source contributions is not about money it is more about satisfaction of solving a problem for self or for others.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

Bump.

• Options
    JasonBarnabeJasonBarnabe Cynical Salamander ✭✭

I don't really remember why I chose Vanilla because I did so about 8 years ago. It was probably the combination of open source and extensibility that did it.

My contributions are for things that I want fixed or added for my own sites. I can fix them myself of course, but then I'd have to deal with the fixes getting blown away when I want to upgrade. Helping others is a nice bonus, but I've got enough to do that "fixing bugs for PHP forum software" is not something I'd do unless I got something out of it.