Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

how to vanilla forum "rss reader"add

2»

Comments

• Regarding FeedEK: Since my feed is only accessible locally it won't work with the Google Feed API. Thanks anyway...

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

It works with any kind of valid feed.

To check the feed for the magpie plugin there is a link in the settings page for the feeds. It will show a blank page. Check and see if anything posted.

You can also check to see if anything posted inside the config.php because it saves the settings for that feed.

I suggest you make your feed using feed burner . http://feedburner.google.com

These plugins only work with a valid feed and the content depends on the quality of the feed.

• Thanks again, but I don't have a link on the settings page to check the feed. I can only click on "Add Feed" and it is checked and added. It just doesn't update the feed and is not posting in the category.
    In config.php I have 3 lines from MagPieFeeds. So everything looks OK, it just doesn't start to read the feed and post.

I can't make my feed with feedburner. The feed is only accessible locally (on the Vanilla server), not from the internet. So FeedEK won't work because Google can't access my feed.

Any more ideas?

• btw, I have MagPieFeeds version 0.1.2. That'S the one I donwloaded from one of your posts. Do I maybe need a more recent version?

No the latest version is this one. see if it works better for you. Change the name to MagpieFeeds on the folder if it unzips with this name.

• Thanks a lot! This looks better... I did get errors when clicking "Check Feed now" but managed to put the missing tags in the feed. So now I don't get any errors but no posts either. I edited the config.php to change the category to 2 since I don't have a category 1. Anything else I need to do?

You need to edit the class.magpiefeedsplugin.php not the config.php To set the category and the User.Change the values in that file. Make sure The category is correct. The fact you don't have category one may be an issue.

• Thanks for the info. I got it working initially by changing the category in the class-file. But I can't get it to hourly update the feeds. How is that triggered? Would it be possible to have it update in smaller intervals like 10 minutes?

Right now it just sits there and waits for me to click "Check Feed" to update...

• Thanks for all your effort, but I gave up on the RSS feeds... Just taught myself some PHP and used ExtraPages plugin to pull the data on demand... ;)

• @streampunk

you might consider sharing what you did, it might help someone else.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I am still in the process of trial and error... ;) What I wanted to do was have an RSS feed with items that were added to my server being polled and automatically posted into a specific category. What I am now doing is using the ExtraPage plugin. When the extra page is loaded I just pull the info I need via PHP and calls to the API of the server. That's much better and always up to date. But as I said, I never had any contact with PHP before, so this takes some time to figure out...