HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

User stories & feature development

2»

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2014

@phreak said:
    linc: Thanx for explaining. I'd better not participate in this user stories. Naaag! ;)

why, you can get yourself a storytime badge, if you get the grammar and syntax exactly right, plus you will be able air your suggestions,

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• JasonBarnabeJasonBarnabe Cynical Salamander ✭✭

As an administrator of a forum that's part of a larger site, I would like to be able to integrate the forum more into my site so that users have a seamless experience. This would include design aspects (including the site-wide header on the forum page), user login (jsConnect is good but far from seamless), having discussions and reviews tied to non-Vanilla objects (I have a custom add-on for this), e-mail notifications, and other things.

As an administrator of a forum that's part of a larger multilingual site, I would like to be able to serve up Vanilla pages in a user's chosen language so that they'll be able to read the forum UI. I'm aware of the Multilingual add-on, but I would rather have the language chosen by a request parameter, as this is how the rest of the site works.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@JasonBarnabe Have you tried the translatethis plugin?

• JasonBarnabeJasonBarnabe Cynical Salamander ✭✭

No. It doesn't sound like what I'm looking for. I want to use Vanilla's provided translations, but activated by parameter (e.g. /forum/?locale=fr).

• @JasonBarnabe said:
    No. It doesn't sound like what I'm looking for. I want to use Vanilla's provided translations, but activated by parameter (e.g. /forum/?locale=fr).

You could adapt the Multilingual plugin to you use case, it effectively is already except it is profile link to set the cookie rather than a request parameter.

Seamless is only ever an illusion, and when you are melding frameworks, it is bespoke job. It is a bespoke job even with two different case using the same two frameworks.

i have dealt with countless cases, with client wanting the same look, the an solution vary different based on the considerations.

grep is your friend.

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

Let's give it a shot

As a developer, I would like to see new versions of Vanilla/Garden keeping backward compatibility, so that I don't have to re-test all the plugins and applications every time.

As a developer, I would like to have a testing framework that allows to easily mock objects (wtihout having to mock each one manually), so that I can reduce the amount of manual testing. Even better if said framework also allowed integration testing.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2014

I think I have the x, y and z of things.

As a casual statistician, I could see the existence of an add-ons trending feature that shows a panel of the top ten (or so) plugins downloaded (most number of downloads) for a particular month, so that I might be alerted to a popular plugin that I may not have noticed before.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

A disappearing act happens on this forum. When user accepts an answer that has a zip attachment, the zip is not visible as an attachment anymore in the accepted answer - nullifying the use of an attachment.

Part X - problem.

• post a zip in a comment

• user accepts answer.

• zip is gone from accepted answer.

Part Y -

I want to see my attachment stick with the comment that was accepted and still be visible as it was, prior to answer being accepted.

Part Z

so that I don't have to repost. and if user accepts answer the zip attachment disappears again. which takes me back to A

Part Omega:

Ideally, I would like to see accepted answers stick in place without rising to the top, since it takes answers out of context, and going to the last comment via latest in url does not take you to the latest comment, makes you miss the accepted answer, and losing context of discussion, which have have deviated from the original question in title.

That's my story.

this has happened to my several times, and my rationale for my a fix is needed is in issue.

proof as of today:
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/218786/#Comment_218786

github issue:

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/issues/2252

even if there are other ways to get around this, I perceive this as a bug.