HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Addons directory, version 2

13»

Comments

• BleistivtBleistivt Moderator
    edited October 2014

@Linc said:
    As an administrator, I find the glut of plugin-related bug reports in the main discussions list to be an unfocused annoyance. I'd much rather see plugin & theme feedback as GitHub issues where the author runs the show.

Do you want to force even non-developers to use github?

I actually like that everyone can see the questions people have regarding a plugin, because oftentimes not only the author, but other users of the plugin can help with these too (especially for plugins that have been abandoned). Even the plugins that were created by the vanilla team are mostly supported by the community, e.g. FileUpload and Pockets which, for some reason were never updated here for 2.1.

Many bugs are reported here first, by users that are unfamiliar with github. These would otherwise go unreported.

The plugin-related discussion could be hidden from the main discussions list, though.

By the way, since this forum runs the SaaS-version, wouldn't the post-to-github-functionality be useful here?
    http://blog.vanillaforums.com/features/github-integration-vanilla-forums/

edit: @hgtonight already said everything, he was too fast :(

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2014

linc said: As an administrator, I find the glut of plugin-related bug reports in the main discussions list to be an unfocused annoyance. I'd much rather see plugin & theme feedback as GitHub issues where the author runs the show.

yes, for you since you are keenly interested in Vanilla core and vanilla plugins and quite understandable.

but at the same time occasionally issues related to vanilla plugins have not been addressed, i know there are other priorities. But its just shifting chairs around.

hgtonight said:This would also remove the incentive of participating in this (vf.org) community. Most people filing issue reports aren't developers. They probably don't have a GitHub account.

totally agree. with hgtonight.

that is what the whole forum is, How do I change this, theme and plugin related and this doesn't work.
    with an occasional "This does plugin does work, I have no feature requests, thanks"

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@Bleistivt said:
    By the way, since this forum runs the SaaS-version, wouldn't the post-to-github-functionality be useful here? http://blog.vanillaforums.com/features/github-integration-vanilla-forums/

We need this... for science!

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited October 2014

this is a tough one.

it is "eat your own dog food" vs. getting developers to take responsibility for their addon.

I do think you want to keep developer engaged in some way. How exactly, open to suggestions.

grep is your friend.

@hgtonight said:
    We need this... for science!

Looks like we got it!

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

edited October 2014

@hgtonight said:
    Looks like we got it!

Yeah!

I already connected my account.
    Firefox doesn't trust the certificate though, I had to add an exception for vanillaforums.com @Linc

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@Bleistivt Yeah, I noticed that too. We don't have an SSL cert for vforg. Maybe @Tim will get us one, someday. :)

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@hgtonight said:
    Looks like we got it!

I gave the ability to file as issue to everyone in the Developer role.

• AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    edited February 2015

I guess it kind of fizzled out when we open sourced the Add-on code & due to the holidays, but I think it's worth us revisiting this, so we can start with something as @Bleistivt suggested.

I am only talking from my perspective (not the company). I guess it would be interesting to see either a refactor of the current system to better integrate with Github or have the community map out what they would like to see and start there.

My own take of what it should be:
    1. Description of the add on should be from the readme.md
    2. The download file should be from Master of Github, and revisions would be branches.
    3. A way to notify users of a new version to be downloaded.

edited February 2015
    1. Description of the add on should be from the readme.md

Yes, please.
    That means, the addons description would have to support markdown.

1. The download file should be from Master of Github, and revisions would be branches.

That would make pushing out new version extremly easy, but would require re-zipping somewhere to get rid of the "-master". Do you still want to serve the downloads from your servers?

Not so sure about branches, I would prefer githubs tags/release system.

1. A way to notify users of a new version to be downloaded.

:+1:

Set the addon application to require a successful OAuth request to GitHub, you can then set up webhooks that interact with the addon app and pull data from the repository easily.

This sounds exciting, but I am still in my self-imposed exile. :|

Search first

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@hgtonight said:
    This sounds exciting, but I am still in my self-imposed exile. :|

Huh?

Coding begins anew in March :)

Search first

• semplonsemplon Malang New

don't forget to add dashboard addon manager. I think it needed to manage the addons list. just to make easy.

for security issues, maybe don't remove it. but disabled the download features, until the patch was added. and make the page red alert.

for file repository, for developers who hadn't github account. maybe it's best if they can upload at vanillaforum and from vanilla forum the file is pushed to the github repo which owned by vanilla repo. this like wordpress do as mirroring their plugins.