HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Thefixboard needs your help

Thefixboard as a community came into existence becuase of the vannilla forum and we want to thank you for this piece of software . We would like to invite you all to the forum . We want to honour the great work you have done so please feel free to send us your email addressses . We would like to invite you.

our core principle is we connect , we learn, we fix , we teach.

Thefixboard has given me a task and I need your help in achieving this. Thefixboard wants a scoring system .

Everytime someone accepts an inivations the person who inivted should get a point and also his uplink and if there are any uplinks should all get points .

Everytime someone learns that is when he likes a particular post all should get points.

Everytime someone teaches that is he posts everytone should get a point.

However if someone posts a fix and he makes a video of it then he gets 2 points because he learns and he teaches.

Please feel free to ask for any clarificaitons.

We connect, We learn, We fix, We teach.

Thefixboard.

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

You should take a look at YAGA. It's a gamification application for Vanilla. You would have to create your own rules, though, in order to achieve what you want, but it is a rock solid base for your plans.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited October 2014

Although that sounds an interesting idea, it is too vague a concept for me, not focussed. There is also plenty of competition. If you want a general help and solution board, then you have to come up with a smarter way of promoting it, and would have to a a realistic idea of how people behave.

Also there is a saying 'ideas are cheap'. Anyone can have an idea, few have what it takes to make it happen. Using verbs is not enough.

At the moment there is no track record. If you are not providing the expertise/solutions yourself then there has to be some incentive to to use the service.

The problem I see is you are asking someone to do most of the work for you. If you have no development experience you wouldn't do this on your own, you are realistically looking at paid development.

grep is your friend.

@thefixboard said:
    Thefixboard wants a scoring system .

I thought that has been the main topic and not the "come and join us".

Everytime someone accepts an inivations the person who inivted should get a point and also his uplink and if there are any uplinks should all get points .

Never done anything with invitations but I guess there is some hook so that you can create a rule to award it. Not sure about the pyramid system though... Implementation for someone not familiar with Vanilla would take some time (I say that because I do not have a clue ;) )

Everytime someone learns that is when he likes a particular post all should get points.

Easy done with some "Like" reaction award. Anyone with basic PHP knowledge should be able to build that rule with the help of the given rules as a blueprint

Everytime someone teaches that is he posts everytone should get a point.

Does that mean: some points for every post? Easy to write a YAGA rule for that.

However if someone posts a fix and he makes a video of it then he gets 2 points because he learns and he teaches.

How to decide what is a fix? And how to decide if the video is not some funny cat video but a tutorial? Either you need a mod who flags it as such or moves it to a special category, or you need to base that decision on user reactions (something like awesome vs. insightful here at vforg). Whatever the solution is: easy to implement with YAGA. Deciding that question will be a harder ;)

• Thank you RJ,x00 . Simplicity is the key ...Thefixboard wants to simplify everything . Clarify , simplify , Find the core and work on the core.

We connect

We learn

We fix

We teach

As I was reading your post I got an Idea to Just create 4 categories and based on people likes and dislikes. We can rate the articles.

However thefixboard would still need a users score board where he gets points for the amount of connections he has and his uplink will get points for every new person added and same for all the posts etc.

Thefixboard appreciates any help and any direction you can point in. We are willing to put in some development costs .

So thefixboard looks to your help and advise .. We learn

• x00x00 MVP
    edited October 2014

@thefixboard all the best. I think need more of a plan than just words, it it lacks a comprehensive strategy. It doesn't matter what you want to do, if you other's lack interest. You would have to create that incentive.

grep is your friend.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2014

If you keep talking in third person, people will get bored with your board - thought thepergrine in third person form.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

edited October 2014

@thefixboard said:

Thank you peregrine for your tip.. We learn. Resistance is futile.

I had a different thought...

• @R_J said:

I had a different thought...

you can't, you've already been assimilated into groupthought, we want to inform you.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

@zefixboard said:

We connect

We fix

@peregrine: you mean I'm already connected and fixed?
    Thanks for the info. We learn.

@thefixboard: really sorry for going mad in your thread. I promise, I stop now. I really think YAGA is the way to achieve what you are thinking of.
    I'd suggest you go and make your first steps after installing it by thinking of reactions for your board and how you want to reward them. Afterwards try if any of the existing rules fit your needs and if not, try to create your own rule. If you get stuck, don't hesitate to come back and ask for help. I'll bet you get great help here.

We teach, too ;)

• we agree with r_j.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

we agree with peregrine and r_j

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Thank you RJ ,

really sorry for going mad in your thread. I promise, I stop now .. I really dint think anyone was going mad..

Probably i understood incorrectly..

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2014

• Warning! This community-contributed addon has not been tested or code-reviewed. Use at your own risk.

I suppose thats normal

• Thanks Peregrine. :)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2014

@thefixboard said:
    Warning! This community-contributed addon has not been tested or code-reviewed. Use at your own risk.

I suppose thats normal

Yes, unless the Vanilla staff got around to looking at plugin and decided to add approved.

but I approve, and I bet jj does and so does hgtonight http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/215383/#Comment_215383

we approve!

In general

all of those should give you a warm, fuzzy felling or not!

• edited October 2014

@peregrine said:

We learn. We feel fuzzy , We feel warm

• you need to get your markup fixed. peregrine didn't say that, they said that.