Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

"There was an error performing your request. Please try again" when reply a private message

JoZ3_69JoZ3_69
edited November 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

As say the title, the error happened when someone reply private message, but after update to the latest vanilla version (2.1.5) the error continue but now only appear a blank error frame but i suppose that's the same error

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

well you know how to debug blank screens by now, don't you? it is in the faq and troubleshooting instructions.

it may be a different message, but you won't know for sure, until you debug.

please try again, occasionally happens, if things are too busy, happens on this forum as well.

if you always get the message, then tats a different story.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine said:
    well you know how to debug blank screens by now, don't you? it is in the faq and troubleshooting instructions.

it may be a different message, but you won't know for sure, until you debug.

please try again, occasionally happens, if things are too busy, happens on this forum as well.

if you always get the message, then tats a different story.

sorry is not a black screen, is a blank error frame..., I suposse that is the same error because the debuger plugin dont show any strange after and before the update.

Before update error:

After update error

• try changing editor plugin to buttonbar and see if you have the same error.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine said:
    try changing editor plugin to buttonbar and see if you have the same error.

I've tried and still get the same error

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

and posting comments in discussions works. correct?

Do private messages always fail?

what theme?

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/199091/#Comment_199091

• @peregrine said:
    and posting comments in discussions works. correct?

Do private messages always fail?

Is a random error, but after the last update happens in 90% of times, the message is sent but the user doesn't see that the message was sended and try send again

The error only happend with the private message...

The theme is Bootstrap.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

maybe someone else will have an answer. I have seen this happen when site is really busy on vanilla forums itself. But I don't know why you see it only for private messages and not for other things on your site.

maybe someone else will have some insights.

perhaps looking console post and headers, etc. might provide insights.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

The trick is to inspect the actual request that is causing the error. Open the network panel on your browser's dev tools and use the site until you notice the error happen. Then inspect the offending request to see what is being reported.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Server timeout issues ? I have experienced this on occasion

• The strange thing is that it not happens with all users and only happens with the private messages...

I checked what it says @hgtonight and have found a 500 Internal error server I don't understand because this not happens for all users, there are users with whom I keep private conversations without the error, but there are others where the error is persistent throughout the conversation

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@JoZ3_69 said:
    The strange thing is that it not happens with all users and only happens with the private messages...

I checked what it says hgtonight and have found a 500 Internal error server I don't understand because this not happens for all users, there are users with whom I keep private conversations without the error, but there are others where the error is persistent throughout the conversation

An internal server error could be anything. Now you should check your server error log and hopefully find some more information.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

check your .htaccess and rewrite rules. maybe the rules have some kind of edge case as well as what hgtonight said.

• JoZ3_69JoZ3_69
    edited November 2014

Thanks all for the help and sorry for delay to respond... I found the error was due by the plugin BetterNotifications, @hgtonight gave the solution this post: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/209363/#Comment_209363

I think the error is already solved...