HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Tutorial: How to change wording, How to change text, How to change language. How to change locale

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

@vrijvlinder said: To find words simply enter them in the search field of the finder in the mac or equivalent in some other system.

as vrijvlinder says

just doewnload the core zip file to your local pc, unzip it and you can search it via

grep to find words. or you can use notepad+

• try single words or partial phrase and don't include number is your search. since there may be variables in the definition.

e.g. you probably won't find it if you search for

Not good - Your password must be at least 6 characters long

but instead use

better - Your password

you can google grep.

but the attached file in this link: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/220473/#Comment_220473

and these...

https://github.com/vanilla/locales/blob/master/tx-source/dash_core.php

https://github.com/vanilla/locales/blob/master/tx-source/site_core.php

if you still can't find the thing you want to translate. probably best to start re-reading from the top of the discussion and reading it slowly enough that you may comprehend it.

but it would be great if the transifex included all definitions in the core. that up to the developers.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• jackmaessenjackmaessen ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

@vrijvlinder and @peregrine‌ I dont' know what spreadsheets have to do with this discussion. Ofcourse i know that kind of spreadsheets you mention in the film, but it would be easy if there was some kind of software in which you can type a couple of words and give a target of files in which he has to search for these words and after searching he says:
    if found these words in file conf/locales/xxx.js on line number 999 and/or vanilla/views/xxx.php on line number 650
    That would make my live easier

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

@jackmaessen said:
    vrijvlinder and peregrine‌ I dont' know what spreadsheets have to do with this discussion. Ofcourse i know that kind of spreadsheets you mention in the film, but it would be easy if there was some kind of software in which you can type a couple of words and give a target of files in which he has to search for these words and after searching he says:
    if found these words in file conf/locales/xxx.js on line number 999 and/or vanilla/views/xxx.php on line number 650
    That would make my live easier

I've already made my suggestions, your answers are given above.

if you have feedback for developers - file an enhancement.

meanwhile if you re-read the discussion and concentrate you will understand things better the link i provided gives you what you want with a spreadsheet and line numbers. i can't quite fathom why you don't look at it and try to comprehend it.

meanwhile this is a tutorial discussion start a new one. if you want to add enhancement or post an issue on github.

I've noticed people who don't carefully read the comments and follow suggested instructions, keep on coming back with the same old issue that has already been explained and solutions provided.

it could be a language barrier for some, so my condolences.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• i think there is also a problem with editing an existing post; sometimes i read the comments, and after that i start commenting back and in the meantime people are editting their own post with new information; ofcourse i miss it that way and only can see it after submitting

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

@jackmaessen said:
    i think there is also a problem with editing an existing post; sometimes i read the comments, and after that i start commenting back and in the meantime people are editting their own post with new information; ofcourse i miss it that way and only can see it after submitting

TIP:

yes it's a good idea to refresh the browser and reread periodically - Since people are always refining and correcting their own post and suggestions during the edit period. so best to re-read previous posts before and after you make a comment.

better to have ability to correct the post during edit period than to have misinformation or unrefined comment that others may stumble upon.

if the translation is not in the transifex for your language - I suggest you and everyone add here:

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/28108/vanillas-transifex-moved-rejoin-your-team

• thanks @peregrine; i really appreciate all your information for me; i really need to take time to read this again and again, but at the moment i am a little bit frustrated about myself; because it takes much reading how to change some things in a correct way and i am the kind of guy who wants to fix problems easily and quick without reading to much how to do it, it should be in my mind logical, but what i forget what is logical for me is not logical for other people and it is not the way vanilla structure is build...but i am learning still better and better how to handle with this forum

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Hmm > @jackmaessen said:

i am the kind of guy who wants to fix problems easily and quick without reading to much how to do it

I guess this means you should not order furniture from Ikea, make bombs, operate dangerous machinery....

• @vrijvlinder You are absolutely right! I have no patience for it. Mostly i start building and when there comes a problem, i must start reading... :#

• jackmaessenjackmaessen ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

Offtopic ofcourse: By the way, i am a swiminstructor :o ; programming and webbuilding is one of my hobbys

@jackmaessen All I know is that you owe peregrine at least 100 eyes for his incredible effort against all odds....

• i will do it right away; ofcourse you also earned these eyes ;)

edited November 2014

No, I only walk in his shadow ...and ride his coat tails.. >:)

@jackmaessen said:
    Offtopic ofcourse: By the way, i am a swiminstructor :o ; programming and webbuilding is one of my hobbys

well peregrine like swimming and is a vanilla instructor ;)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

sometimes the odds are with us and sometime not.

back to the Discussion please - this was a tutorial at one time before all the digressions.

• @jackmaessen

This plugin may help you in finding translation strings and testing them out:
    https://github.com/vanilla/addons/tree/master/plugins/CustomizeText

But really, it should be as simple as taking an editor with a search function and searching for the strings you want translated in the 2 files peregrine posted above: