Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Sort Userlist "by Role"

phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

Hi all,

I'm still wondering how it is possible to sort user by role under 2.0.X and 2.1.X. I'm working with Vanilla for quite some time and maybe i've forgotten it more than once or there is simply not a function that allows me to give me a list of users with a certain role in the dashboard.

Could anyone help me for a 2nd or do we really have a missing function that is important for admins and should be implemented "Sort by Role".

Thanx, phreak

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
Tagged:

Comments

• how do you propose sorting users with 1 , 2 and 3 roles.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

You just search for the role in the user dashboard. Clicking on the role name in the userlist will also do this.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

@peregrine: A select menue for sorting roles?

@hgtonight: Ahja, thanx that works god. But with thousends of users and a lot of roles (probably some who have a complex naming) this way is quite uncomfortable.

It work's, but some improvement won't be bad i guess. And if it's just a clickable role name or a "list users with this role" in the roles backend.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • It would be nice to be able to search for users with no role to fix problems.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@Anonymoose said:
    It would be nice to be able to search for users with no role to fix problems.

How would you search for it? As in, what would you want the workflow to be?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@hgtonight said:
    How would you search for it? As in, what would you want the workflow to be?

I'd like to see it worked into the import workflow, as that is where you are most likely to find that sort of problem.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

@Anonymoose said:
    It would be nice to be able to search for users with no role to fix problems.

a simple reality check...

SELECT u.UserID FROM GDN_User as u left join GDN_UserRole as r on r.UserID = u.UserID where r.UserID is Null

ignore deleted user...

SELECT u.UserID, u.Name FROM GDN_User as u left join  GDN_UserRole as r  on r.UserID = u.UserID where r.UserID is Null AND u.Name  <> "[Deleted User]"

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited December 2014

@peregrine said:
    a simple reality check...

In the Dashboard. :smile: For example: searching for "[norole]" would all users with no role.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

In a general 2.1.x setup only the System user should not have a role assigned to it.

check for users that do not have a role assigned. if anyone wants I'll add it to addons section.

e.g. in this screenshot "peregrine was a user buy had no role assigned" showing potential problem.

here is a screen shot when peregrine was assigned a role.

• I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

edited December 2014

Excellent, your solution makes this moose happy! Thank you!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

@Anonymoose said:
    Excellent, your solution makes this moose happy! Thank you!

amazing, I didn't know it was possibile :wink: to make an angry moose happy.

I guess "meese" can be:

• angry and happy,
    • angry and sad,
    • and angry, happy and sad.

edited December 2014

Remember, I am always happy, but some people are not happy, because they are not moose.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

@Anonymoose said:
    Remember, I am always happy, but some people are not happy, because they are not moose.

thanks for the correction. I am happy not to be an anonymoose.