HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Articles v1.0.0

ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
edited January 2015 in Feedback

I've just released Articles v1.0.0. This application provides a way to publish articles or blog posts in Vanilla.

All planned features in the first release milestone have been implemented. A few more are planned to be added in a future release. If you find any issues, feel free to make a post on here or file an issue at: https://github.com/shadowdare/Vanilla-App-Articles/issues

A big thanks goes out to @hgtonight for contributing feedback and code for the app. Thank you, @hgtonight!

Another big thanks goes out to members of the community here who have contributed pledges for the development of this app via the "Articles / Blog App: Make It Happen!" post, namely (in alphabetical order), @angophora, @Bleistivt, @hgtonight, @jeongwee, @ohgot, @phreak, @R_J, @rbrahmson, and @vrijvlinder. Thanks, everyone!

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

wow I almost forgot about this... considering it took you around a year to get it out... what we payed is chump change for the stupendous effort you put into this.

I salute you

• Yes! Finally! This makes my migration to Vanilla complete. This is something I have missed so much after switching from IPB. Thanks for your work!

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited February 2015

@StealthBravo, thank you! Let us know how it works out for you and feel free to share your feedback. =)

@vrijvlinder, thanks! Would you like to make an icon for the app? :)

• Congratulations!

I was going to cobble together an aggregation page for a site I want to do (aggregating a forum, a calendar and polls) and chose Vanilla because of it's embed-ability and it's support for SSO. It sounds to me like what you've just published may be the glue I was otherwise going to have to provide myself.

I'm a Vanilla newbie, so forgive me for asking such a basic question:

Is there some sort of install doc? This doesn't appear to be a plug-in, so I'm unclear how to deploy or configure it.

Thanks!!

JP

edited February 2015

@toolsmythe, extract it to your /applications folder and install it from the Applications page in the dashboard.

• chanhchanh OngETC.com - CMS Researcher ✭✭

@Shadowdare this is a great news and a nice addition to Vanilla. Thanks for that.

• rasteronrasteron forum.rastercode.com ✭✭

very nice application, works great :+1: thanks!

• @Shadowdare - I'm such a newb! I actually did figure that out this morning and was coming back to confess my ignorance when I saw your response. Thanks and thanks for resisting the urge to poke fun at me.

Really nice app!

• @vrijvlinder, thank you for the icon! The typewriter is awesome! B)

How do you assign category or change category of an article?
    Thanks

edited February 2015

@chanh, as long as at least one category exists, there should be a category drop-down on top of the "new/edit article" page's form where you can change the category an article is assigned to.

but how to create the "at least" one category? I only see the "uncategorized" but don't see a way to create more.

edited February 2015

@chanh, go to the Vanilla dashboard and then click the link to the "Categories" settings page under the "Articles" section in the sidebar. Create a new category by clicking the "Add Category" button on top of the page.

I see it now. It is all the way down on the bottom. Thanks

• I love the idea of the Articles application, thank you!

One thing that seems to be missing, or perhaps I'm just not understanding it correctly:

We'd like to be able to let people post their own articles. In order to do this without there being a review process before they are published, I have to give the members group the ability to edit articles.

The problem is, this lets them edit all articles, including those authored by other people.

Is there a way to allow people to edit/publish their own articles, but not other people's?

• @khalwat, I've answered your question in your discussion at: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/225603/#Comment_225603