Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Multiple issues

I just went with the latest Vanilla release a few days ago. And I've got multiple issues that I need to keep up with for the sake of the community. Here is the site: http://pochapocha.com/babilu2

The thread I would like to address first is this one, because it represents other issues as well as its own, and is time sensitive:
http://pochapocha.com/babilu2/discussion/12/march-2015-ibpc-poll

Most of the time, the page loads white without formatting, as it probably will if you click on the link. Another way is that it loads just the way it was intended, with a beautiful colorful poll at the end, for people to use to vote on their favorite poem of the four listed. More common than that, however, is a blank gray page, with nothing to read. It's a monthly poll that we have enjoyed for several years, and it is going bust this month.

The latter problem, clicking into a page, getting nothing written and no comments, is a common error with any discussion thread. Sometimes, when the page has loaded perfectly, doing something on the page brings the black notice that the discussion thread does not exist. The way I have been able to get into the discussion thread is by going to the activity list, and clicking into a comment, which does not use the discussion's URL.

I posted yesterday about the problem of having no "Preview" button for comments on discussions. I received a wonderful idea that maybe it has to do with the gray theme. Yet, switching to any other theme does not resolve the issue, that one or any other.

Another issue that remains unresolved is the view count. It remains at 1 on all discussion topics.

Any and all help is welcome, and ideas to brainstorm too. Thanks.

Yours,
Rus

Comments

• x00x00 MVP
    edited March 2015

Well it is loading a fragment, there is no master template at all. Try with the default theme, and try disabling plugins one by one there is obviously an issue.

First time I have seen anything like this, it is odd. I would clear the Smarty cache and make sure those files are writeable.

Does you them have any view overrides, or a themehook file?

Another idea is there is a error during output buffering. The error would be in you server error logs.

grep is your friend.

• this is a server error (status code 500). You need to look in you server logs for the error.

grep is your friend.

• rus bowdenrus bowden Lowell MA

Thanks very much, x00. I have started a ticket with ixwebhosting.com, and hope to hear back today.

The issue has been resolve, but it apparently is a coding mistake. Here's the feedback I got this morning from Vitaliy at ixwebhosting.com:

Dear Rus,
    I'm sorry for the trouble you experienced and for the delay in replying on the ticket. Unfortunately, this issue was caused by a coding mistake in your application. To be exact, Vanilla forum couldn't redeclare OAuthException class. As a result of this, the following error was occurring when you accessed "March 2015 IBPC" page:
    "Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class OAuthException in /hsphere/local/home/rusbowden/pochapocha.com/babilu2/library/vendors/oauth/OAuth.php on line 8"
    You couldn't actually see it because errors were suppressed in "/pochapocha.com/babilu2/index.php" file by ini_set directive. Thus, I temporary enabled them by changing the following line of code from:
    ini_set('display_errors', 0);
    to
    ini_set('display_errors', 1);
    Then, having the exact error, I fixed the mistake by chanding the following code in /pochapocha.com/babilu2/library/vendors/oauth/OAuth.php file from:
    class OAuthException extends Exception {
    // pass
    }
    to:
    if (!class_exists('OAuthException')) {
    class OAuthException extends Exception {
    // pass
    }
    }
    Prior to making this change, I saved a copy of OAuth.php file under OAuth_old.php name. What is code does is check if OAuthException class already exist and declare only if it doesn't.
    Please recheck it from your side. As I can see everything works properly now and no blank page occurs.
    Rus, sorry again and thank you for understanding. Please don't hesitate to contact us 24/7 should you have any further questions or require live technical assistance. We are always at your help.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@rus bowden Sounds like you have a great host :)

I recall this being a known issue: https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/issues/2061

Looks like it will be in 2.1.9 :)

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

Vitaliy says this:

_Dear Rus,

Thank you for your feedback. Customers' satisfaction is the best
    reward for us. We are doing our best to provide highest-level service
    performance and support quality. Please don't hesitate to contact us 24/7
    should you have any further questions or require live technical assistance. We
    are always at your help.

Best regards,
    Vitaliy_

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Geez, that's above-and-beyond hosting service that they dared debug & edit application code for you. His change was exactly right.