HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Excellent Plugin

agcyphersagcyphers Nooooop.

I just wanted to drop a note to say how much I love this plugin. I'd love to see this migrated to the core! Great work!

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Positive feedback?!?!

Times are a changing :)

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Jonathan WJonathan W Scranton, PA

Thank you! I'm working on an update that will provide both a settings screen under the dashboard and a toggle to allow discussion authors to hide comments in their discussion - similarly to how it is done now per user, but this would be applied to the entire discussion, allowing authors to moderate their content. If you have any ideas, just drop me a line!

• agcyphersagcyphers Nooooop.

That sounds perfect, but I'd like to see that functionality extend even further. Admins/Mods able to hide content site-wide (in the areas they control, respectively) would be awesome.

• Jonathan WJonathan W Scranton, PA

I'll keep that feature in mind as I work on this update. One question - would you find it also useful to allow for the option to completely hide content for users instead of just "rolling it up" as it does now? I ask because of your suggestion for Admins and Mods to be able to hide content site-wide.

That was another part I plan on putting in once I define actual permissions and settings - to decide what level of user can view a hidden comment.

I think, in terms of moderation functionality, it might be nice to have a setting in roles as to whether users can expand mod-hidden comments. I'd say make it so that we can choose those roles individually, though this is starting to look like it might be a completely different plugin. lol

• I doubt it will make to the core. Not that it isn't a great plugin, just it not in Vanilla's nature to include everything. If Vanilla was called Tuti-Fruti maybe. Vanilla is plugabble that is the whole point.

grep is your friend.

edited May 2015

@x00, I simply meant that I'd like to see the ability to collapse comments in the core, not for a wider set of moderation tools as outlined above. We already have the ability to sink threads, so why not sink comments so to speak?

• @agcyphers said:
    x00, I simply meant that I'd like to see the ability to collapse comments in the core, not for a wider set of moderation tools as outlined above. We already have the ability to sink threads, so why not sink comments so to speak?

Becuase ideas are a dime a dozen.

grep is your friend.

• BTW there is alread a voting pluign which can reorder the comment stackoverflow style. Sinking comments makes no sense becuase comments are added to the end anyway.

grep is your friend.

edited May 2015

@x00 said:
    Becuase ideas are a dime a dozen.

Mine was just another one.

Jonathon, would you please message me PayPal info so that I may make a donation?

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@agcyphers

I don't think x00 was trying to be personally critical, but making precisely your point.

You have an idea about what it would be good to add to the core, but then, so do tons of other people.

The Vanilla model is to be uncluttered and out of the box functional, with the ability to extend easily via themes and plugins.

That way, everyone gets their forum set up the way they want, and the developers focus on making the core as good as possible.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Also, thank you for taking the time to thank a contributor!

It's a rare enough event that it gets noticed... (yes, I'm talking to you lurkers - think of one thing someone has added to Vanilla that you use and like, and come on and say thank you to them. )

edited May 2015

@whu606 Regardless of whatever his intentions may have been, and whatever each user considers "clutter", some ideas obviously do make it in to the core or there wouldn't be any extended functionality beyond creating accounts and the basic post/comment system in the initial install of Vanilla. As is, a select group of plugins is included and each user can choose whether or not to enable them, while a great deal of functionality we take for granted is integrated fully.

Activity stream, for instance, could be a plugin available in the add-ons category. I personally don't think it's useful in the core. Profiles, even the most basic of which, could be extraneous. What about post editing functionality? User approval? Extended role management? All available in the core.

At any rate, as a community Vanilla should never be summarily dismissive of any idea that could potentially garner more widespread acceptance of the project as a whole.

Thank you for chiming in, @whu606

For what it is worth @agcyphers, there is a moderation plugin that is hosted only right now that does something quite similar to what you are asking for. In the future, that code might be made open source.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• The addons repo redesign has been under consideration for some time. I think. There is just many aspects to it

grep is your friend.

@x00 said:
    The addons repo redesign has been under consideration for some time. I think. There is just many aspects to it

The addons repo has been made public and is slowly getting better.

Check out the https://github.com/vanilla/community/issues repo for more info/submitting ideas/pr.

Search first

Thanks, Jonathon. No, I haven't noticed any bugs, and none have been reported within my community. I'll update to the latest sometime this weekend and get back to you as soon as I've played with it. Thanks a bunch for the quick update!