Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Issue: Quote plugin shows 'stray' bullet item for guests

mtschirsmtschirs ✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

The Quote plugin (Vanilla 2.2b1) shows a 'stray' bullet item even when the quote button is not shown (e.g. for guests):

The problem is the Base_AfterFlag_Handler of class.quotes.plugin.php:

/**
    * Add 'Quote' option to Discussion.
    */
   public function Base_AfterFlag_Handler($Sender, $Args) {
      echo Gdn_Theme::BulletItem('Flags');
      $this->AddQuoteButton($Sender, $Args);
   }

A Gdn_Theme::BulletItem will be printed even though the AddQuoteButton method returns without any side effects if the current user is a guest.

Shouldn't the echo Gdn_Theme::BulletItem('Flags'); line be moved to the AddQuoteButton method then?

By the way: Is this the right place for such issues? I didn't get any feedback on Github, so I am unsure.

Tagged:

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Filing an issue on GitHub would be better. If you already have a solution and you send a pull request that is much better ;)

Issues posted here might be forgotten, but from time to time there are periods where in a short time a big amount of issues and PRs on GitHub are reviewed, answered and merged/closed. So even if you have to wait for feedback, it is the more appropriate place.

If you file a pull request, you should sign the contributors agreement: http://vanillaforums.org/contributors (see the box on the left)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2015

@mtschirs

By the way: Is this the right place for such issues? I didn't get any feedback on Github, so I am unsure.

if you post on the forum you will probably get feedback from the community and help people in the community. If you post on github you MIGHT get the change made in a timely manner. Some github issues related to plugins, linger for years and you may not get any feedback or a response. Just calling it like I see it.

My opinion related to plugins post on the forum to help the community. Post on github and it at least it will get recorded for posterity if not fixed or changed.

The cons of posting on gihub and not posting here: new users may not see it., searching in github for a problem is not the easiest. you may never get a response. It may remain open for years.

The pros of posting on github. It may get fixed in a timely fashion.

The pros of posting both here in forum: it helps all people even if not fixed. It has a chance of being fixed in next release.

In summary, if everyone has a right to an opinion then both places is best with a note in the discussion as to what the issues number is and a link to the github issue.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• post here then click the cog > "Create a github issue"

grep is your friend.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited July 2015

@x00 said:
    post here then click the cog > "Create a github issue"

I believe the issue generation is an earned feature:

Source:

Only users that are in a Role that have the ‘Staff’ permission are able to create GitHub Issues.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• I'm not staff as far ans I'm aware.

grep is your friend.

• It would be nice to stop spammers, but other than that I'm not interested in being staff.

grep is your friend.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@x00 said:
    It would be nice to stop spammers, but other than that I'm not interested in being staff.

I think it is an MVP permission, but this is speculation.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @hgtonight said:
    I think it is an MVP permission, but this is speculation.

More likely if not more reasonable - if you are in "developer" role.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Didn't see this before.

@peregrine said:
    More likely if not more reasonable - if you are in "developer" role.

That is correct.