Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How much could this VPS hold just running VanillaForums?

I'm Looking at VPS from Ovh.com and I was going ask how much users do you guys think this VPS could run/hold.

CPU: 1 vCore
RAM: 1 GB
Hard drive: 10 GB Raid 10
Bandwidth: 100 Mbps Guaranteed up to 10,000 GB data transferred per month, then 1 Mbps

And if this is a VPS what Operating system and Version should I run I been told Centos 6.6 is the best for this type of job?

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Sorry, I thought you just bought your own server?

Why the change?

• I did but that's only for my Minecraft network I'm not allow to use it for other stuff I like to use this VPS to open like a gaming blog.

• I'm Looking at VPS from Ovh.com and I was going ask how much users do you guys think this VPS could run/hold.

CPU: 1 vCore
    RAM: 1 GB
    Hard drive: 10 GB Raid 10
    Bandwidth: 100 Mbps Guaranteed up to 10,000 GB data transferred per month, then 1 Mbps

And if this is a VPS what Operating system and Version should I run I been told Centos 6.6 is the best for this type of job?

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I would say: use a hosting company that lets you upgrade. Then start with a server you can effort and whenever you see that resources are a problem, upgrade to the next step. The configuration from above is more than enough to get you started.

I guess you do not know very much about Linux: "Which distro is the best" is a question you should never ask ;)
    Choose a popular distro so that support is good. You will have to do some research on how to make your linux safe. Maybe you start be searching on how to install a lamp server, how to secure your linux and choose the distribution you find the how tos you understand best.
    For Vanilla it is not of interest what Linux distro you have chosen. It will run on each of them.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I would suggest against centos as a first time install. It isn't really designed for a single deployment.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@hgtonight said:
    I would suggest against centos

I couldn't really decide between
    a) use Arch Linux: you only get what you ask for and you'll get enough Linux knowledge by setting this up to be able to keep your server running by yourself.
    b) use Debian. There's a lot of support for Debian and most things simply "work out of the box" so that you do not have to learn a lot about Linux before you can start with Vanilla.

But as I've said before: never ask what the best distro is ;)

• solved

• @VizionStudios said:
    solved

how did you solve it?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited August 2015

CentOS is widely used for web servers, which is why I've used it for over a decade on mine. Vanilla Cloud runs on Ubuntu, FYI.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

FYI, your first scaling bottleneck is likely going to be the memory. But you won't need to worry about that for a while. :)