Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Is there anyway to undo 'Dismiss' - or remove the functionality entirely?

Hi,

I'm running Vanilla 2.1.11 and I've stupidly dismissed an announcement by accident and I can't find a way to sticky it again, even if I remove the announcement and announce it again. Is there anyway to completely disable the 'dismiss' functionality and keep the thread at the top for all users?

Thank you

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2015

sign back out and sigin in again and you may see the message if you re-created a new one. you should be able to announce a new one.

otherwise you can go into the user table and remove it from the preferences column (e.g. the serialized info called discmissed messages) per each userid.

aside from the checkbox in annnouncements you can make something un dismissable by changing the 1 to a 0 in the messages table (AllowDismiss column).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Thank you, I've tried signing out and back in again and can't announce the thread again unfortuantely. It says it's announced but other threads jump above it.

I've also just tried looking for the AllowDismiss column (my messages table is empty, and ConversationMessages doesn't have an AllowDismiss column unfortunately) - any ideas where I should be looking please? Thank you

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Is this a message or a discussion?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Sorry it's a discussion

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Do you have it announced in its category, or on the recent discussions page?

Did you sink it?

If you have it on a public facing forum, I can take a look at it.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Thank you, I'm trying to announce it on the recent discussions page (it doesn't announce in it's own category either)

I didn't sink it at first, but that was part of my testing process (I've sunk it and unsunk it, closed it and unclosed it etc)

It's definitely set to announce in both the category and the recent discussions page too

Unfortunately it's not on a public facing forum either so it's difficult to show you sorry :(

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Dismissing is per-user. If you dismiss it, it only "unannounces" for you, not the entire site.

• Oh I see, thanks Linc - is there anyway to undismiss it in this case then? Even just for myself

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Unfortunately, no, at least not in the UI. The only way to do this would be to find the DiscussionID + your UserID combination in the GDN_UserDiscussion table and set the 'Dismissed' column to 0.

If you want to prevent Dismiss as an option, I'd see about simply hiding it with some CSS.

• Thanks Linc, I'll take a look now - will set it to 0 and then hide it in the CSS :D

• Absolutely perfect, thank you very much! :)

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Sure thing.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited September 2015

@Linc said:
    Well it's finally happened. peregrine found a config I didn't know existed. Pack it up, show's over.

I think I see a tear...

But maybe also

How about this new one, Because , Just Because...